• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Downside of reseller account?

Nerds4Ever

I would like to start my own hosting company, but not sure if I should get reseller or VPS. What's the difference between a reseller and VPS? In reseller, do I get WHM panel? And what are the downside of reseller?

Thanks.

on a vps you will get WHM as it is basically the same principal as a full dedicated server except without the full power of a dedicated. Management will be up to you, security, the whole 9 yards

a reseller account you will not be able to sell reseller accounts unless the host has one of those silly reseller selling reseller programs installed, which is one limitation. On the other hand it is a nice way of getting your feet wet and learning the ropes without worrying about the hassles of securing a server and dealing with the hardware/configuration aspect of the business quite yet.

Focus on your core business and then later expand on to a dedicated. Personally I would start with a reseller if you are just getting started unless you have a good base level knowledge of linux/windows and security. If that is the case then start with vps/dedicated right away!

What are other draw backs beside not being able to sell reseller account which I won't use anyway.

So do I share resources with other resellers like VPS?

a reseller account is basically the same deal as a regular shared hosting account, and many reseller accounts are on the same server as them. you will share resources with who ever else is on the server.

with a reseller account there is usually no hard limit on the amount of cpu and memory you may consume so there is a little bit of flexibility there but on the other hand if you get a crummy host they can shut you off without warning for consuming too much.

...you get a crummy host they can shut you off without warning for consuming too much...
For that matter, read the host's ToS and AUP a full 100%. Don't just scroll your eyes and the scroll ball too fast and get over with it. Read it. It will you help you!

On VPS, you dont have root for example, can't recompile Apache with new PHP version, update cPanel (maybe on your reseller the server owner doesn't want cPanel 11 but you do), compile software, etc etc...

A VPS doesn't have the power that a reseller might have. A VPS means a bit of ram, and a bit of the cpu, but with a reseller, you get the advantages of a dedicated server with the lower price, but you have to deal with it being someone elses server. Also, your ability to support your customers is diminished unless you pick a reseller with 24/7 support. If something goes down on a VPS, you're in charge and you can get it taken care of... if something is wrong on a reseller, you have to wait until someone else discovers the problem.

The main difference between VPS and reseller is root access. Root access makes a lot of difference since you have more freedom and you can resell reseller accounts on a VPS.

I would recommend starting out on a reseller account unless you're planning to sell reseller accounts already. When you really need it, get a dedicated server since they are much better than VPS (obviously :p).

If you have any experience, then VPS will be great for you, it's the middle-satge between shared (reselling) where you are limited by everything and dedicated where you are responsible for everything.

To me a VPS would be best so that you can install your own software etc. but you have to have a lot more experience to do that. I only know 3 companies that allow reseller accounts to sell reseller accounts that are successsful. They don't allow overeselling except for my company. I think having the ability to sell reseller accounts is a plus not crazy. Thats my opinion anyways.

resellers selling resellers to me is crazy. Look how many accounts deep it goes and how can you expect to have control of all that? The possibility of a tos breach is enormous and would be a magnet for abuse in my opinion.

If a company needs to sell reseller accounts have them buy at least a vps instead of that reseller reseller conglomeration

Avail is right, unless you have a big team searching and looking at the server resource your going to run into problems later on.

I agree with avail, "Master Reseller" accounts are basically shooting yourself in the foot,from the admins side you have no way of trackin the content there..sure you can dig through the server but who has that kinda time. VPS to me is more if you have a decent site that uses alot of resources ie proxy etc. In my opinion its always better to grab a reseller to start with and then work your way to a dedicated box..just my 2 cents...

If you dont know what your doing go reseller
If you know what your doing get a good VPS :)
The upside of a reseller is nothing is your problem You dont need to update/upgrade/fix any issues with the software httpd ftp etc.

Great advice! ..I'm gonna' give you some rep for this one :thumbsup

on a vps you will get WHM as it is basically the same principal as a full dedicated server except without the full power of a dedicated. Management will be up to you, security, the whole 9 yards

a reseller account you will not be able to sell reseller accounts unless the host has one of those silly reseller selling reseller programs installed, which is one limitation. On the other hand it is a nice way of getting your feet wet and learning the ropes without worrying about the hassles of securing a server and dealing with the hardware/configuration aspect of the business quite yet.

Focus on your core business and then later expand on to a dedicated. Personally I would start with a reseller if you are just getting started unless you have a good base level knowledge of linux/windows and security. If that is the case then start with vps/dedicated right away!

One more point, VPS means that you get allocated a fair amount of system resources. For example, if you run a very busy website, like friendster or something similar (of course, on a smaller scale), a reseller account won't do quite so well, because the resources are shared. This means that your host might kick you off if you use too much system resources (like RAM and CPU)

Back