• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Donations through Standard Internet for co-pilot of UA flight #93's family

Do you think having a donation option in affiliate programs is a good idea?

• Yes, it should be a standard feature with several charaties all the time!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Yes, it's a great idea! Although, I don't think it would be a good idea all the time

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't think it's appropriate for an affiliate program.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No, affiliate programs should never have options like this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Robert of Standard Internet, another forum:
A fund has been set up for the family of LeRoy Homer of Marlton, NJ (home of Standard Internet) at http://www.standardinternet.com/LeroyHomer/index.php

Mr. Homer was the co-pilot of United Airlines flight #93 which crashed near Pittsburgh, Pa. He is survived by his wife Melodie and 10 month old daughter.

Standard Internet will match our affilaites donations, dollar for dollar, to a maximum of $50,000.00. The donations will be deducted from your September income which will mail to you on or before October 15th, 2001. 100% of your donation will be matched and donated and your September check stub will reflect the amount you donated.

Please take a moment to fill out the "comments to the family" box and don't forget to let Mr. Homer's family know where you live and offer your thoughts. We will print out all of your letters and present them to Mr. Homer's family along with our donations.

If you are not a Standard Internet affilaite and wish to donate directly to the Homer family please send a check or money order (payable in US funds) to: The LeRoy Homer Fund c/o Commerce Bank, 336 Route 70 East, Marlton, 08053

http://www.standardinternet.com/LeroyHomer/index.php

The link allows SI members to either donate a set amount, or a percentage of their pay cheque to this cause. Standard Internet will then match these donations up to $50,000.

Please have a look,

Yes, well done Robert! A very kind and considerate for both you and your company to do.

Although the thing that I find most interesting at this stage is that people would like for an option similar to this to stay. From a business point it would almost be impossible to double every donation for every charity, although the option to have a donation page is widley supported.

What are your thoughts on this Robert? and to any other affiliate program managers... (Hello Dan, Lawrence, and others ;))

Greetings,

Robert: I wish to thank you for allowing me the solace of knowing that the money you, if not wrongfully then certainly unethically, took from myself and probably others, has allowed SI to gain the stature needed to be able to make this donation fund and the dollar-for-dollar match possible. It gives me great peace and serenity to know that my grave fortunes have allowed someone else, in a far worse, far more terrible situation than mine, to be the beneficiary.

In all sincerity, I thank you for doing this one good thing.

[POST REINSTATED]

Farewell,

Last edited:
agreed,

In this day and age, a lot of people from the internet are "Just out for the money" I really am glad there are still ad companies, willing to do more than just earn a profit. I wish the best of luck to your campaign, and may this make your company even stronger

I am sure no one has a problem donating money that wasn't theirs in the first place.

SI could be doing more, by donating ad space to Red Cross, etc asking for donations... Why stop at $50,000? $50 k is pocket change to companies, and they get to right it up as a tax deduct.

Yea its nice they are doing it, but I doubt it is for the right reason. "Lets spruce up our image to make up for our mistakes in the past"

SI could be doing more, by donating ad space to Red Cross, etc asking for donations...

LordWoogie, you might like to take a look at the homepage of ClickHereToFind.com, where SI have dedicated a substantial amount of ad space to providing outreach on behalf of several charities and info lines related to the recent US tragedies. They were one of the first portals to do so, and certainly are not out to gain from this act.

It never fails to surprise and disappoint me that in a time unlike any other, in which unity, forgiveness and generosity are required above all else, there are still those in our community that would denegrate the good deeds of others.

If you don't like SI, that's fine, no-one's asking you to. But making unfounded accusations about the company's charity goes against everything that we should have learned in the wake of WTC.

Let's try to stay on topic.

Originally posted by LordWoogie
Why stop at $50,000? $50 k is pocket change to companies

That is not correct...I just love when people think that you are automatically rich just because you own a company.

$50K is surely not pocket change to me as I am sure it isn't to SI as well. If you go to your county clerk tommorrow morning and register a business name then does that mean that $50K will instantly become pocket change to you too then?

Welcome back Chet! :)

Very very long time no see, I think you'll be glad to know that Ron Seigel is no longer with us. Oh, and enjoy your stay and have a great time! :)

Last edited:
Ron was cool :D

What happened to him? He was posting on the Standard Internet forums a bit a few months back, and dissappeared...

Okay, I can see this is easily going off topic... I'm also to blame for this although the thread is turning into some dangerous alligations.

The topic is Standard Internet's pledge to donate, and the general topic of affiliate programs and donations.

If any posts from this point on are not associated with the topic, I believe you will reiceve a warning. Also, I believe the thread will be locked.

If you still want to disscuss these issues you can start a new thread.

Thankyou,

Thumbs up SI!

Unfortunately I don't have any money. :(

I donated 50 cents of my lunch money last week and that was it. I'm like broke.

Donations are always good! Well, if it is your choice to donate. I don't like how charities call everynight at suppertime.

I think this SI idea is cool. But maybe to a general relief fund. Yes it's nice to help one family in particular, but I would rather help many people a bit than one family a lot.

Just moving this important thread up a little bit.

Please remember you can also just leave a message of your condolences, which I'm sure will be greatley appreciated.

Back