• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domains pointing at subdirectories

pwnm

Does anyone know what its called when you have an account, with a main domain name, and then you have another domain that points at a subdirectory of that (not just redirecting)

For example domain1.com could point at maindomain.com/domain1 - but visitors would just see domain1.com. its like having multiple hosting accounts - but you don't. I dont want to get one account for each domain, because I want to be able to share databases etc between all the accounts.

I have seen a few similar topics on the forum while searching, but nothing quite the same!

Oh, and while im asking what its called, anyone know any hosts in the UK that support this?

Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited:
Well ... I know how you can use .htaccess to do it ... but the domain must be on the same DNS [duh].

Email me and Ill send you the stuff

You could use a service like mydomain.com and just point the domain to the directory of your choice.

Originally posted by Ahmed
Well ... I know how you can use .htaccess to do it ... but the domain must be on the same DNS [duh].

Email me and Ill send you the stuff

i am intrested too, can you send me a PM with the info?

you have another domain that points at a subdirectory of that (not just redirecting)
You could use a service like mydomain.com and just point the domain to the directory of your choice

Thats what im doing at the moment, but I would really like them to be proper domains instead of just redirecting :)

Do you have to be using apache/*nix for .htaccess files? I forgot to mention that I'm using asp so its got to be windows 2000 / IIS5

Hi,

It's called frame forwarding. Most control panels have the option when you create a domain.

Frame forwarding? That sounds like that thing when you have a frames page with one big frame that points to a location on another server, just to hide the url in the browser address bar. Does it mean this as well? :confused:

Add this to your .htaccess:

# redirect domain2.com to subdir
RewriteEngine On
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} REDIRECTEDDOMAIN.COM
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !subdirName/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ subdirName/$1

That is all :)

Dunno about NT servers ... cant stand MS for servers :p

I've done some research and found that .htaccess files do work on NT - but only when using Apache as the webserver - and I need IIS5 :( (I also quite like it :p )

Thanks anyway for helping! :)

Giancarlo, I'm guessing maybe it could be a virtual directory?

Back