• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain Name Owner Problem.....

Deviant

Hi

I got a free domain name from APHosting.com awhile ago but just recently I did a whois on it and it seems to be owned by APHosting......... I've contacted their support and to change it to my name I would have to pay $24.95 for some sort of name changing fee that I've never heard of. The domain name is stockforums.net . I've never done anything to it and I just thought of some use for it. Should I pay the fee or is there another way for me to do it? My friend told me to keep it for awhile and then change it before it expires. Is StockForums.net worth keeping?

-Dev

Is it worth the 24.95 to you?

Whether or not it is worth keeping depends on what you plan on doing with it.

I was thinking of running a stocks forum not sure if its a good idea tho. I mean $24.95 is not much and I have around have a year before I transfer it.... Just not know what kind of board to run. Where do I buy the software that FWS use?

Originally posted by Deviant
I got a free domain name from APHosting.com awhile ago but just recently I did a whois on it and it seems to be owned by APHosting.........
I take it you're not Andy Wu, Everett St, Everett, MA eh?

No. I need it to change it to my name. And I need it to be changed the DNS but I can't find a place to change it to rackshack. I really dont want to build a site and when it generates alot of visitors, the guy comes and takes the domain back because I'm not listed as the owner. I've seen networksolutions.com have a feature to transfer an existing domain. Will that work?

Not if you aren't the owner (or else I'd suggest forgetting about that domain and transferring yahoo.com ;) ). I'm guessing you may have signed up with a hosting plan that included a free domain (just a guess), and that once you left, the name didn't leave with you.

Your best bet, if the domain matters to you, is to contact the current owner and ask if you can pay to have it transferred to your name. After that, you can transfer it (though NetSol wouldn't be my first choice).

If the domain is in fact yours, paid for by you, etc., then you could also try pleading your case to www.dotster.com (which is the registrar for your domain).

Well I have settled it with AP, they will transfer it to me before it expires ( I guess they know about this board and want to shut me up ).:eek:

Dotster looks very good! Having a Japanese Language support is a plus! I'm going to purchase another Domain. Hey chicken do they have like domain forwarding for free or a small monthly fee?

Last edited:
I don't know about dotster and forwarding or anything they offer, never used 'em, though they seem pretty popular on the forums. I know the registrar I use (enom) offers this.

Back