• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain+Host Question

d4x

Okay, heres my situation. My mom bought hosting plus a domain for her business. I made my own folder, and bought my own domain. How would I make it so I could use her hosting with my domain?

I bought 'unaffiliated.info'. I want to make it so where I can have 'unaffiliated.info/forums' etc. (Not just a redirecting domain) I'm new to all this domain stuff, so please help me out. If you don't understand, please post here I'll try to make myself more clear.

Thanks in advance,
-dax

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's hosting with cPanel just use it as an add-on domain and set it up in a folder under the main one. If a it's different type then more details are needed as there are too many questions that could be asked first.

Unless your mom has resellers you will not be able to other than subdomain or addondomain sort of stuff, if she provides you with her login id and password that is , so specify if you have those info on you?

daxleet said:
Okay, heres my situation. My mom bought hosting plus a domain for her business. I made my own folder, and bought my own domain. How would I make it so I could use her hosting with my domain?

I bought 'unaffiliated.info'. I want to make it so where I can have 'unaffiliated.info/forums' etc. (Not just a redirecting domain) I'm new to all this domain stuff, so please help me out. If you don't understand, please post here I'll try to make myself more clear.

Thanks in advance,
-dax

Hi

Just go to the free offers section on this forum & get some free hosting for this domain :classic2: .

Goodluck!.

Er a1 - not really - depends on the hosting package.

Could be simple enough to just log in and set up.

Depending on the setup of your mother's account, she may need to use a redirect, else it will be yourmumsdomain/unaffiliated.info/forums. :S

Or could be setup as 'yourdomain.whatever' and have an index file point straight to the forums.

All depends.

I have all of her login info for everything. I setup an addon domain and it made a subdomain. But still, whenever I try to view it, it just redirects to the 'ugly' link. Is that what an 'addon' domain does?

+I also edited the nameservers of my domain to match hers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys it all depends if his mom is willing to give him her login id , so that is the first thing that the dude needs to tell , does he have login info or not ?

daxleet said:
I have all of her login info for everything. I setup an addon domain and it made a subdomain. But still, whenever I try to view it, it just redirects to the 'ugly' link. Is that what an 'addon' domain does?

+I also edited the nameservers of my domain to match hers.

He just said he does :p

I'm guessing cPanel, DA uses pointers. I'm also guessing add-ons work but the address showing is the 'ugly link' as in the full path under the main domain.

Till we know for sure don't want to suggest anything else, but it should be easy enough to ensure a 'friendly link'.

Yes I'm using cPanel. My AIM=phatdax, I'm on right now if anyone would be nice enough to give me a step-by-step. Or just give me a link.

Thanks.

• On the left status when you login to cpanel does it show that you have addon domains remaining if it does try the below:

1. Click on the Addon Domains button from cPanel.

2. Enter the domain in the New Addon Domain field (unaffiliated.info).

3. Add the directory that the addon domain points to in the username/directory field e.g.: (una)

4. Enter the password for the domain in the Password field, if required.

5. Click on the Add button.

6. Update your name servers

Login​

Click Manage Domains​

Select Domain​

Under header Name servers management choose Change DNS​

Setup the correct Name servers​

Duport forgot to mention this important step :
1. First Delete the previous subdomain you created.

Also forgot to mention:
Change nameservers in your domain only to the one that were provided to your mom .

Later

If you receive an error when adding the domain please post the error as you will more than likely need assistance to setup the domain due to an existence of the previous domain.

Don't forget DNS changes can take up to 3 days to show so maybe your jumping in a bit quick.

Decker said:
Don't forget DNS changes can take up to 3 days to show so maybe your jumping in a bit quick.
I did it yesterday. I noticed its a redirect (of some sort). I setup a redirect for unaffiliated.info to go to frameablephotos.net/dax when I first bought the domain. Is there anything I have to do to remove it? Maybe it's overriding the addon domain. Well, I'll post back in a couple days. Thanks.

Oh Eck!

Yep possiby - ensure there is nothing else pointing or well anything to that domain name.

Fingers crossed - PS your's currently points to an IBM Canada addy then goes missing which is a bit concerning

Back