• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Doing some research, need website designers input

Conscript

NLC
NLC
Hey guys,

I am doing a little research at the moment and I am trying to figure out how web designers, consultants, developers, etc. are impacted by the level of knowledge/skills that their clients possess.

I want to know how having a client who knows NOTHING about the website design process or the business impacts your ability to serve them. On the flip side, how does having a very knowledgeable client impact your ability to serve them?

Do you prefer ignorant clients or knowledgeable clients?

If you could make a wish-list of things you would want your customers to be educated about what would you include on it?

(For example, "I wish customers would know about the ineffectiveness of flash intros, the need to plan things out before requesting we jump into the work, what it takes to put on a good production and why it can't be done for pennies on the dollar, etc.")

Also, if you could make a wish-list of things you wish customers would STOP requesting or doing what would those things be?

Finally, feel free to add any general comments or share any experiences you have had with dealing with various clients.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I haven't done any web design work for a long time (paid or otherwise), but back when I was doing it, I always found an "in the middle" client very helpful.

The best kind was the "I want something with black and green, and these are the menu options we need on the main page". They have a very rough idea of what they want, but are giving you free rein to make something of their ideas.

I find that is always easier to jump in and get started than with someone who says, "Just make us a design". Because then you turn around and make something and they say, "Oh I hate green. Can we try blue?" etc.
I also used to like it when someone would say, "Here's a link to a site we like". I'd open it up and have a look and usually start off basing a design loosely around it, but ultimately would end up with something very different. It usually was very well received, too.

It's also good if the client is willing to listen. If they say "Can we have the banner jiggle and swing around the page?" And you reply, "You can, but that's not such a great idea, because it could cause lag, and will have potential cross-browser compatibility issues..."
The best response there is, "Okay, what would you suggest?" Instead of, "No, you don't know what you're talking about, this is what we want".

I think having someone who was TOO knowledgeable would be very frustrating. They would be constantly asking questions, and probably want to be filled in on all the minor details. I can see argument rising from someone who knows a lot, too. And this could cost a lot of extra time that you could be spending just plain working on their project!

Does anyone else wanna weigh in?

What about clients who get picky about certain specific elements like picture positioning, font text, etc.? Should they be leaving usability and technical aspects to the professional (you) or do you feel their role is justified and results in a better outcome?

Also, what about clients who know nothing about websites and say that they just want one for their company. Would you better off with some leadership or do you like the creative license you are given? How do you feel your efforts integrate with the client's business plan and purpose?

Do you feel like you are able to put together something that truly serves the customers business needs on your own better or with some leadership? What examples can you cite as too little or too much involvement on the part of the client?

(And final question, do you consider business outcomes for the website when designing a solution for your client or do you approach it from an artistic perspective more?)

Last edited:
(And final question, do you consider business outcomes for the website when designing a solution for your client or do you approach it from an artistic perspective more?)

That's a really personal question, it's going to differ greatly for everyone, I think.

For me it's definitely artistic perspective.

Yeh - an in the middle client is best.
What i hate is when you have completed it all; coded the site (as in php and such)
and then they want you to change some minor thing in the template at the end of it all

I much prefer knowledgable, it's infuriating when people with no knowledge ask you to do pointless or impossible things.

i would prefer a more knowledgeable client any day.

here is just one scenario that i am dealing with now.

i was hired to build a custom content management system for a client. i sold him on the idea of a CMS since he wanted to be able to update his site himself. so, knowing that, a cms was the best solution. now, here is where the problem came in. this client just happens to be dumber than hammered sh!t. i finished the site over 2 years ago now, and he has now sued me because he thinks his site is not done. what he doesnt seem to understand is he hired me to build a framework so he could put up his own content, images, etc. i was NOT hired to put that stuff up, but, to give him the ability to do so himself with no knowledge of html. so, he thinks his site is not done cause there is no content there, but, it is not there cause he hasnt put any there. and somehow, he just won in court, and i now have to pay him $1300 cause he is to stupid to know how to use his site. no one can understand how he won, but, once again, Americas judicial system has failed me. so, now i have to pay him for the endless hours i spent working on his site.

well, all good i guess. i still have some leverage. i own the .com, .net, and the .org for his site since he never paid for them. they are in my name, on my godaddy account, and if he wants them, he will have to agree to not make me pay anything, and i will just give him the domains free of charge and call it even. so, i will see what happens now, but, end result, i will probably never build another site for someone unless it is someone i personally know.

Wow good feedback guys.

So far the consensus seems to be that a client who isn't completely retarded is preferred.

Does anyone else want to weigh in on the Artistic Perspective Vs. Business Results? As in, what do you consider most when you are designing a site?

iBrightDev, for the future I think you should have written contracts that clearly states the scope of work. If you had a contract stating that the job was to create a framework (CMS) so that the client can update the website themselves, it would've been a no-brainer and you would not have lost.

It is kind of surprising. Another more cynical point of view may have been that retarded clients are preferred as they are easier to trick into paying heaps of money.

I am very interested in the artistic v. business outcome debate though. I mean, the client is usually looking for a website for his business so that they can improve their success. But if business outcomes are not the prime consideration and motive of the web designer, that means the client is paying for something they are not going to get (or get the most out of).

On the other hand, as a web designer your primary concern is to make something that looks good and uses the full range of your skills (and make a few bucks), so if the business wanted certain business outcomes they should have specified them in their plan.

Two valid viewpoints, I wonder which one do web designers subscribe to more and why.

Woah Justin! Don't lose confidence so soon bud. ---- happens!

Just try to be more elaborate in terms of the project details with the client next time, or you could also avoid doing business with people with inadequate English.

iBrightDev, for the future I think you should have written contracts that clearly states the scope of work. If you had a contract stating that the job was to create a framework (CMS) so that the client can update the website themselves, it would've been a no-brainer and you would not have lost.

you would think since my contract DOES say that stuff that it would be a no-brainer, but, obviously not.

Back