• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do you REALLY need 1000GB disk space/200TB bandwidth?

dbbrock1

OK so I've been in the hosting industry a very long time now and I have noticed that overselling has got more and more crazy over time.

• 7 years ago, 2GB of disk and 10GB bandwidth was considered overselling.
  • Today, its common to see offers at 1000GB/1000TB.

So my question, to all you looking for web hosting, do you really think you will need all that space and bandwidth?

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. (Some might hate me for this!) Out of all my customers, 99% use less than 1GB disk and 5GB transfer.

Every hosting provider out there knows this, and will tack on a bunch of 0s to their offer to make it look more enticing . The thing is, if you aren't using the space, you aren't getting any extra value. If you come even close to the amount they offer, I am willing to bet you will be suspended faster than you can blink. This advertising tactic is very misleading and a lot of newcomers base their decision off the meaningless numbers they see. Here is an article that covers web host overselling a little more.

Bloggers - Think again if you believe you need anything more than 1GB of space. You could type blog posts until you are blue in the face before you come close to using 1GB(unless you incorporate a lot of videos and images)

Forum owners - Considering most forums are text based, forums use hardly any bandwidth. If you run a highly active forum, eventually you will start consuming decent amounts of disk space. However, there is no way that a shared host would allow such a forum to exist on the servers. You will be shut down before you use even a fraction of that 100gb/1000tb.

What should you consider than? If you see a host offering such impossible amounts of resources for an even more impossible price, look elsewhere. If you want a decent service, look to spend $5-10/m for a reasonable amount of disk space and bandwidth.

Hear hear! A long time ago (about 4 years), I didn't know a thing about web hosting and ran around looking for the host offering the most space. Then I got stuck when I found hundreds offering "unlimited". Now what? So I bought a package and started a forum. We got to 300 members...and barely used 5 gb of bandwidth per month, and totally only 2 gb of space were used (mostly for attachments since it was a graphics forum). Overselling has gone way way way too extreme...

All you need is at least 2-5 gig space and 50-150 gig Bandwidth of hosting, that's all you need !

If it becomes a big community every month, you can ask for more features

I agree with sonicboom.

DO NOT buy more than you need you can always upgrade later. Chances are if you use even a 10th of the space they offer you in those 10000000000000000000tb offers [dont comment on how many 0's I put] you will get suspended/terminated there are so many points in there TOS that will get you.

People buy those 15 TB Bandwidth, 5 TB space hosts, If you buy those plans from those 6.95 a month crap, like bluehost or lunarpages, there's a fee you need to pay more than what you really need hosted.

5 TB, 15 TB Bandwidth, = around 100-200 $ you wasted annualy or 24 months.
5 Gigs, 100-200 GB Bandwidth, 40-75$ wasted annualy.

Plus hosts like that has a termination fee. Which cheap limited hosts doesnt. :)

Think about it, 5 TB, and you will only use less than 1 Gigabyte. 15 tB Bandwidth, and you've only use 20 gigabyte in the past 2-4 months.

It's a waste buds :)

It's called "overselling", and it's just as simple as a marketing strategy. Or do you really think they have "unlimited servers"? :p

There's no such thing as "Unlimited Disk Space" dude.

Unless they keep merging over millions and million of servers for you and make it unlimited.

If you really wanna define unlimited for hosting... Read this sentence carefully.

Unlimited for hosting is when a webhost provider gives you tons of merged hard drives and servers and makes it unlimited, HAVING KIZILLIONS OF SERVERS MERGED.

There's no unlimited. There's going to be an end on every webhost provider.

And all you really DO need is 5-10 gig space.

Depends what you host.

Unlimited is just a nice word for "I'll let you use as much as I want to let you use, then I'll get rid of you using some excuse I'll make up."

No one use all that web hosting offer. Even on the smallest and non oversold packages 90% cases. And that is the reason of such unbelieving offers

Don't let it worry you. The customers have to move somewhere more reliable anyway. Plus, it's mostly cheap people who constantly go back to those types of hosts, after getting termiated from each one. The only ones that support on those hosts are small, low traffic websites (Which most end up going on free, then small paid, then VPS etc)

It's just how far the companies go to to attract customers because most people would think that they're getting more for their money

Unlimited is just a nice word for "I'll let you use as much as I want to let you use, then I'll get rid of you using some excuse I'll make up."

I can't agree with you more hamster. Thing is, these guys advertising 1000TB of disk space are creating a problem for the rest of us who are trying to run an honest hosting business: either follow their example or eventually lose your market share.

In principle we have decided not to oversell. We don't have servers with 1000TB hard drives, and we've never seen them yet. What we offer is what you get.

^This is psychology, and marketing strategy is as better as much it plays with our souls. e.g. Average person will be interested in buying somethin he really do not need only because it will look like 'much for little money'. for example Three copies of one DVD for 12 dollars, while one costs about nine dollars. Where is the real economy?

I can't agree with you more hamster. Thing is, these guys advertising 1000TB of disk space are creating a problem for the rest of us who are trying to run an honest hosting business: either follow their example or eventually lose your market share.
I'm looking forward things be sorted out in this way. You are absolutely right. These companies move others to do the same

I believe that no one needs so huge amounts of space and bandwidth. It seems that people subscribe for such offers only for future use and never use that (that is wat web host stake on)

Back