• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

DNS Manager

UltraDNS was the best till they started charging, now I use centralinfo.net and it's the best I've used (other than UltraDNS).

i used to use x0.net untill they stoped serving. Now i use central info and have for almost 6 months.. i find them extremely fast, and i havent had a problem so far.

My take is... My Internet followed by ZoneEdit and then Central Info offers the most features. Now reverse the order... Central Info, Zone Edit and My Internet is the most reliable. I like them all for different reasons.

zoneedit.com is better than centralinfo.net when it comes to them letting you automatically have email forwarding setup, and not limiting you setting up 20 totalt A, CNAME, or MX records.

only problem with zoneedit.com is their free service only allows 5 zones, while centralinfo.net seems to be unlimited. there are ways around that though.

can someone help me on how to use centralinfo.net i dont understand how to set my DNS to a diffrent webhost and such, and yes i have a domain

Originally posted by keith
zoneedit.com is better than centralinfo.net when it comes to them letting you automatically have email forwarding setup, and not limiting you setting up 20 totalt A, CNAME, or MX records.

only problem with zoneedit.com is their free service only allows 5 zones, while centralinfo.net seems to be unlimited. there are ways around that though.

My need is a simple single-zone setup with e-mail forwarding inbuilt. I really don't want to get involved with a 3rd party mail service. In that case I think zoneedit.com should be better. Right?

Originally posted by ashben
My need is a simple single-zone setup with e-mail forwarding inbuilt. I really don't want to get involved with a 3rd party mail service. In that case I think zoneedit.com should be better. Right?

go for zoneedit.com then. they give a catch all email address [*@whatever.com], then you can specify different email addresses to go toward different email accounts you or others have. good, dependable service too.

Originally posted by Mrh0ax
can someone help me on how to use centralinfo.net i dont understand how to set my DNS to a diffrent webhost and such, and yes i have a domain

With a dedicated IP address? If you want to merely point your domain, you can just set everything to hit the IP address (with A record of www pointing to IP address as well).

If you are looking to point to folders, you want stealth forwarding (something I believe zonedit and certainly mydomain offers).

Although you have control of your DNS with these services, what you don't have control over is setting up the accounts on the server. This prevents you from doing some things that you might be thinking of doing.

If you lack this control, then just go for URL forwarding, or consider using either .htaccess or a script to redirect based on name. I really don't like this form of direction, but it does work.

I guess it has to be zoneedit.com then since now centrainfo.net has the following to say :

Due to abuse of our FREE Services by ISPs and other large corporations, we have been forced to temporarily stop the addition of new domain names into the free dns servers. We are not accepting any NEW primary or secondary domains at this time. There is no set time as to when we will be re-allowing new ones again.

DO NOT EMAIL US ABOUT THIS DECISION as we will not respond to questions as to when we will restore the system to allow new zones.

Reason we stopped: Abuse by corporations and ISPs
When will we restart: No time frame
Will our current zones still function: Yes

Sorry for any problems this may have for you but you can thank all the abusers of our services for this decision.

Originally posted by ashben
I guess it has to be zoneedit.com then since now centrainfo.net has the following to say :

Due to abuse of our FREE Services by ISPs and other large corporations, we have been forced to temporarily stop the addition of new domain names into the free dns servers. We are not accepting any NEW primary or secondary domains at this time. There is no set time as to when we will be re-allowing new ones again.

DO NOT EMAIL US ABOUT THIS DECISION as we will not respond to questions as to when we will restore the system to allow new zones.

Reason we stopped: Abuse by corporations and ISPs
When will we restart: No time frame
Will our current zones still function: Yes

Sorry for any problems this may have for you but you can thank all the abusers of our services for this decision.

Shit! I just registered over 200 .com.kg's pointing to CentralInfo.net! Now I have to change the DNS on all of them. Damn you CentralInfo!

Back