• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

disk defragment?

Originally posted by Jan

I use ME and it takes 15/30 minutes (depending how much time between)

As I have said before we can't all afford to just pop out to the store to buy a new operating system :confused2

Since when did getting a new OS involve going to the store? :biggrin2: :bandit2:

Originally posted by guitarnerd

Hard drives are linear, bad sectors are where the magnetics can no longer be written, that would just cause that 1 byte of data to be lost

No...if you have 1 little box that is a badsector(in the defraging program), you actually lost 4 kb not 1 byte since 1 square is a cluster.

Yeah, go to cosco XP is only $95 there. If they have those there
I have 60gigs of space and about 30gigs are used It takes me 20 minutes to defrag

Originally posted by Daniel

No...if you have 1 little box that is a badsector(in the defraging program), you actually lost 4 kb not 1 byte since 1 square is a cluster.
That actually depends on your allocation size but the default is like 4012bytes or something like that

Windows defrag [9x/NT] sucks major ballz. Use O&O defrag instead, it takes longer but it's much more thorough and much more effective, another piece of freeware.

Originally posted by Semi
Windows defrag [9x/NT] sucks major ballz. Use O&O defrag instead, it takes longer but it's much more thorough and much more effective, another piece of freeware.
Windows Nt stands for is on NTFS

Yeah, go to cosco XP is only $95 there. If they have those there
I have 60gigs of space and about 30gigs are used It takes me 20 minutes to defrag
How can $95 be "only"

Windows Nt stands for is on NTFS

Er.. no.
NT is rumored to be short for "New Technology"

NTFS is... New Technology Filing System or NT File System.

um..how long is it gonna take to defrag my HD if i havent done it in 3 years and i have ONLY 3.5KB used? 1 to 2 hours? :confused:

Originally posted by Warp

Er.. no.
NT is rumored to be short for "New Technology"

NTFS is... New Technology Filing System or NT File System.
Yes, NT means New Technology, NTFS means New Technology File System, Hence the NT?
um..how long is it gonna take to defrag my HD if i havent done it in 3 years and i have ONLY 3.5KB used? 1 to 2 hours?
Ummm, maybe 1 second since you only have 3.5kb used, what OS are you running DOS lol
Though you probably meant 3.5gb so it I will say it depends on your File system

lol:eek: :D

oops, I meant to say 3.5GB..(I'm getting these measurements mixed up again..:eek:)..and I am running on win98..so um...how long is it gonna take?

On win98 it should take 30-45 minutes. That's about the time it took on my old puter :p

<edit>Do a full scan disk first or it might get halfway through defrag and then spit the dummy and tell you to anyway :confused2

Last edited:
Yea, scandisk first. And I would suggest reformatting a drive that hasn't been for 3 years. Your computer will run a lot faster then. But backup your stuff first.

And BTW DJ, by "underneath", is that...under my desk?:biggrin2:

Depends on the speed of your HD as well, how fast it can read data...

My old old 'puter that had 10 GB used and Win98 took a half a day to defrag. It was a 5400 RPM drive. :confused2

Originally posted by Semi
Depends on the speed of your HD as well, how fast it can read data...

My old old 'puter that had 10 GB used and Win98 took a half a day to defrag. It was a 5400 RPM drive. :confused2
I hope I don't use that much space :nervous:

It will vary really, because defrag time depends a lot on your internal data speed. Which in most cases is much more than just 100mbps On my puter it is 500mbps It just all depends on your stuff, and there is only one way to find out....do it

Defrag is great to improve speed of the PC.

I believe this analogy works if you still don't know what Defrag means.

Just think about a library and a librarian. When people take out books to read and then return them the librarian puts them back in the correct order.

Same with Defrag the computers data is re-ordered so the PC can access it easily - which means it will speed up the performance a little bit.

Since I have a small hard drive with not a whole lot of data on it it only takes me a few hours to Defrag my harddrives.

HGW

Originally posted by Homeygwiz
Defrag is great to improve speed of the PC.

I believe this analogy works if you still don't know what Defrag means.

Just think about a library and a librarian. When people take out books to read and then return them the librarian puts them back in the correct order.

Same with Defrag the computers data is re-ordered so the PC can access it easily - which means it will speed up the performance a little bit.

Since I have a small hard drive with not a whole lot of data on it it only takes me a few hours to Defrag my harddrives.

HGW
Good anology, but the so called "librarian" still has to organize the new books (new data)

What do you mean by "ONLY A FEW HOURS" Like I said I have 60gigs of space and actually now about 40gigs used and it takes me 30 minutes maybe 45 now

Back