• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Disable Print Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anayet

Is it possible to somehow disable the "Print Screen" button while the user is surfing a website?

I saw on some site once, that all the buttons where disabled. How do i do that?

Thanks in advance

Unfortuntely i can't remember the site - if i did, i'd just nick the code :D

I don't even remember whether any such thing exists, but just incase someone knows something, please post:)

I remember I read something about this a while ago.
Users had to download a plugin, and you had to convert the images to their format. The plugin would "clear" the image from the printscreen. It does the same for programs that do sreen captures. However, this program wasn't free and I can't remember the name.

you would also have to keep people from dragging the image to their address bar and saving that picture.....

also almost none of the protection will work on *nix or *bsd, so if someone really wanted the image, they still could take it.

The program I'm talking about is actually a plugin, so it probably just won't display the image in *nix.

Originally posted by Hobo
you would also have to keep people from dragging the image to their address bar and saving that picture.....
Thats the easy part. You can easy prevent people from doing that.

I'm not wanting to protect an entire website or loads of images, it just one image that i've protected in a lot of ways, and deletes itself off the server within a couple of seconds after viewing (ok, i do that part manually).

I made it so that the page if it is saved, the image isn't saved, you cannot hover over the pic with the mouse and use windows XP save facility. You cannot right click and save the picture. You cannot drag the picture to the title bar, and you cannot find the picture in your temporary files, because it gets overwritten by another picture:D

Is there anyway to disable all of the keys on the keyboard? Or maybe somehow assign a different role for the print screen button?
I saw a script that allows you to go to a home page of a site if you press "H" on the keyboard - could the same principle be used in order to assign a different role for the print screen button? Maybe when someone presses the print screen button, instead of copying to the clipboard, it'd go to the home page, or maybe even close the page?

Thanks in advance

You could do it that when you press any keyboard key, it replaces the image with a blank one.

you can't stop people from getting whatthey want. disabling print screen is unfriendly and impractical

Originally posted by biggulp
you can't stop people from getting whatthey want. disabling print screen is unfriendly and impractical

Actually it is possible, cause its a very temporary thing. Only need it for a few seconds at a time.
Its not for a proper website or anything, i need it for a personal/private page - only handed out to a few people at a time - so therefore it is not impractical - cause i haven't even stated what i need it for - so nobody should make assumptions.

Basically all i asked for was whether or not keyboard buttons can be disabled on specific pages, and if so how - nothing else.

No need for any input on how practical it is and it isn't, no need to tell me that people can get what they want anyway, no need to tell me anything else other than what is being requested in the simplest way possible.

Anyway, if its not possible to do this with a script or anything - thats fine.
But i am very sure i visited a site once, and i tried to use keyboard shortcuts, but no matter which key i pressed, the page would return a alert stating that the keyboard cannot be used. None of the keys worked, you could only use the buttons on the actual surfing program you were using.
Again, i reiterate, i am not looking to protect entire sites, i need it for a private/personal reason, for only maybe about one page.

Thanks for the responses ;)

Originally posted by Anayet

I made it so that the page if it is saved, the image isn't saved, you cannot hover over the pic with the mouse and use windows XP save facility. You cannot right click and save the picture. You cannot drag the picture to the title bar, and you cannot find the picture in your temporary files, because it gets overwritten by another picture :D

Too bad the print screen is the only key you can't disable...making all your hard work look kinda silly.

Sorry, but any 9 year old will still be able to take 'your' image. :cool:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Anayet
Is it possible to somehow disable the "Print Screen" button while the user is surfing a website?

I saw on some site once, that all the buttons where disabled. How do i do that?

Thanks in advance

Hello !

I searched all the forum with keyword "protect image" then I got you guys messages.

I knew this site can disable the print screen key http://PicKeeper.com and they warranty their software can protect image 100% - I'm really like the PK's idea . I'm going to buy it but before that I need your help. Can you guys come to PicKeeper.com and try to copy their image? I have tried to download their pictures but I couldn't.

Thanks !
Bin.

What you probably don't understand is that nobody can even see your pics without using/downloading the PicKeeper browser which nobody is going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back