• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Difference between SSL certificates

Robdale

I am totally confuse about the SSL certificates. What makes the Open SSL, Rapid SSL & shared SSL certificates different? And how long are those valid?

With your SSL certs, they are all valid for 1 year (unless you pay for 2 years or so on) generally the only differences between types of SSL is 1 type highlights your address bar when you access it, another type works on *.yourdomain.com and some have better encryption.

If your looking to understand what the difference is between RapidSSL and other competing companies products is, the only difference being the company that you go with. And myself being fairly tight right now, I would go with the cheapest one ;)

Ok, generally, the cheapest SSL I have found was a rapidSSL and it was $35 a year, I cannot remember where it was from. I can sell them for $60 AUD a Year which works out to be about $37.76 US a year.

With SSL, you need 3 main things,
1 Dedicated IP Address
2 SSL Certificate signed by a Certificate Authority Company (I.E. RapidSSL is a signed certificate)
3 ModSSL OR OpenSSL installed on your web server if Apache.

If you are unsure how to install an SSL certificate, I would highly suggest consulting who you purchased the certificate from, or the faster and easier method, do a Google Search, you always get something that will help you.

The cheapest SSL is Positive SSL from Comodo, RapidSSL is also offering Cheap SSL certificates.

The difference between those SSL certificates are the encryption level of the SSL certificates, this can be used for the E-commerce based sites

Thanks guys, for the quick responses.

Is there any way to create our own SSL certificate?
Does it makes any difference between our own cert. and purchased SSL cert.?

Last two questions... Sorry for bothering you.

You can create your own however it will error in all browsers [from what I have seen]

Better off buying it from somewhere. Or getting a domain name or something from namecheap. Last I checked they offered free ssl's with any order :)

I think its very difficult to design/develop your own SSL certificate it requires sound knowledge of protocols, security issues and other network issues, installing certificate requires technical knowledge and its not that easy ;) there are web webhost who offer shared SSL for free as special offer ;)
But its always suggest to have private certificate if you are serious about your webbusiness.

Thanks everyone for helping. You mean private certificate is the one which you don't need to share. right?

Back