• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Design preferences?

foo2thabar

NLC
I have only built a few web sites, and I have always designed each piece (logo, nav buttons, etc.) separately. Do yall prefer to design the template as one big image and then slice it into images and HTML using photoshop/whatever?

On a side note, how would I go about slicing an image? :eek:

i personally make it all different, my logo and stuff.

That way i can be sure that my site looks and acts like i want it to, even when there is a lot of text, and it has to stretch and stuff.

although slices have better outlook, the logo and content looks embed into one, but the generation of the html files seems have many scripts.
it's not easy to make edition for later

the way I make my sites is that I have them split into smaller images. if I have an area with a pattern that repeats, then I use one image and have it repeat. If I have an area that is a solid color. I remove that image and just use a tag.

Usually I create the site design, in Fireworks, Photoshop wich ever you prefer, and after i can see as the site is going to be ( With the image ), i try to use the less images i can, so if it's possible to use a <td background=""> so it repeats, i try to use a lot of CSS since it enables a wide variety of things. And i slice some images and export them separately, and after that i build the HTML myself, placing the images where i want them to, but always using the minimum images possible ( Like Google ) :)

Last edited:
I always design the complete layout first in Photoshop/Illustrator, then slice, then optimize, and then code.

Originally posted by Olternit
I always design the complete layout first in Photoshop/Illustrator, then slice, then optimize, and then code.

And how do you 'slice' it? I mean, is there any tutorail on the net about this?

There are PLENTY of tutorials on image slicing on the net.

I'd post links, but I have no idea what program you're using. If it's photoshop, then you'll find heaps on info. Trusty google will set you up with "photoshop slicing images tutorial" for example.

I personally design an image every time I need one. I'd use a full site image and slice it if I was making a different sort of site, but for the simple stuff I'm doing now, there's no need.

Back