• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

'Death by Playstation!'

TRUNKS

Something
NLC
From Gamespot:

"New developments may stir things up in the recent allegations that Manhunt had inspired the murder of a 14-year-old boy in the UK. Local police announced today that they had indeed found a copy of the action game, but it was found in the victim's bedroom.

The development could raise several questions concerning Mr. and Mrs. Pakeerah's claims, such as how did their son come into possession of the "M"-rated game and who bought it for him. However, such questions are probably irrelevant to the case, according to police. “We haven’t connected the game with the murder...the motive was robbery," said local police spokesperson Narinder Pooni.

The games-cause-violence story sent the UK media into a frenzy last week. The Daily Mail lead the charge, running the headline "Murder by PlayStation" and starting a sensational campaign to ban violent games. Pooni stated that the police had already announced that the game was not involved in the murder, but that "some sections of the media chose to ignore it." "

----ing hell people are thick. I think the parents are using the game as a scapegoat and can't deal with their child being associated with drugs. At least that's what I heard...

Manhunt
Parents of murdered UK teen plan to sue game maker Rockstar & Sony. They believe that a computer game is to blame for their son’s murder. Now they have hired a US lawyer to sue the game’s creators and Sony, the makers of Playstation 2, for $156m. Stefan Pakeerah was beaten to death with a claw hammer and stabbed repeatedly with a knife by 17 year-old Warren Leblanc. Leblanc later pleaded guilty to the murder at a court session last week and faces a possible life term. Sentencing will be on Sep 3. The teenager was said to be obsessed with the Playstation 2 game Manhunt, in which a man roams the street slaughtering scores of people. The Pakeerah family, from Leicester, UK, have hired Mr Jack Thompson, a Miami based lawyer to begin a civil lawsuit against the games industry they believe must share responsibility for Stefan’s death. Mr Thompson told London’s The Times: “Children are being trained to kill each other through these games. The tragedy of Stefan is not an isolated incident. The Pakeerahs are a brave family because they are willing to do something about it.” Mr Thompson said that he would serve writs against Rockstar Games, the Edinburgh-based creator of Manhunt, and Sony Computer Entertainment, makers of the Playstation 2 games console. Mr Thompson is also representing the the families of two victims killed in Teennessee, US, against Rockstar.
Grand Theft Auto
In that shooting which took place last June, the victims were killed by teenagers who told police that they were acting out scenes from the violent game Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar also produced the best selling game. Sony must also bear responsibility for allowing a game on its Playstation platform, which is played by children, despite having an over-18 age restriction, Mr Thompson argued. He claimed that he wrote to Rockstar before Stefan’s killing, warning the company that the violence in Manhunt would incite copycat behaviour and possibility murder. “I am accusing the games companies of a conspiracy to avoid the law,” he said. “They are clearly marketing these games at minors.” Mr Thompson said that he would start the lawsuits with the Pakeerah family after Leblanc’s sentencing next month. He is preparing to call expert witnesses, including US military personnel, who will describe how the same violent computer games are used to train soldiers to kill.

If anyone feels the need to kill someone because that person played a video game, they would need help to begin with. And thats IF the game caused the person to kill someone else, which imo is NEVER the case.

People are so stupid, its amazing.

“If video games affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

-raves

Does this make anyone else absolutely sick? These people are trying to cash in on their own children's death! Thats despicable...below despicable. God! People are so thick. Theyre blaming the game, when they were the ones irresponsible enough to let their children play a game that the child was underage to! Besides, even if these games in fact TEACH the child to kill, it does not CREATE that sickening violence - the child already has it. Game or no game theyre going to do something horrible one time or another. And tell me, how exactly is money going to bring your child back?

Urgh. Sorry. Im just so angry at these people. Theyve made me believe in hell, because they might, nay, they WILL go there. I hope they loose the case. Then I hope Rockstar sue them millions for corrupting their, and every other videogame company also sue them millions for hurting the videogame industry's name. They deserve it. Pathetic excuse for a living organism.

Last edited:
Manhunt, was one helluva game. I don't know how many of you played it, but I think its kind of funny that the store he went to buy it from didn't check his ID. Do they not do that in the UK for mature games?

Anywho, I agree with cowax if you are stupid enough to mimic what you saw in a video game then you need some help. I mean honestly, I played Mario today but I'm not going to look for a bunch of turtles to jump on then stick a feather in my a$$ and try to fly. Shameful...

Nick said:
I'm glad I read this article.

Reminded me I have to buy Manhunt :D.

Heh. According to Gamespot, Manhunt has sold out in stores all across the UK when articles appeared mentioning its link with the murder. Its selling far better then when it was released last year now.

there's this old man who raped a minor child and he said he just did it because of the sexy movie he just watched... and put the blame on those sexy actress... geez for me that was lame excuse... maybe it influenced them but I think a 60 years old or 17 years old got a right mind already to think if those stuffs can harm them DUH!

Back