• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Crosswinds.net is no longer free

Cracker

-
NLC
Since I have a Crosswinds account that I no longer use but have been unable to get rid of, and I noticed that free sites are no longer available, I logged into my old account and found this announcement:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The End of Crosswinds Free Service - Update May 1, 2003

This announcement is the hardest one that I have had to make in all the years I have been with Crosswinds, but it is necessary to keep Crosswinds as your trusted hosting company of choice. I was one of the founders of Crosswinds in the heyday of the Web explosion and have spent many long hours of the past 6 years of my life working on every aspect of this service. With the changes in the Internet and the expectations of a quality service, we have had to make a very big change.

As of May 15th, the free service will be discontinued.

The reason for this decision is simple and I will explain it to you so that you can understand.

Crosswinds currently has 2 million members. Before 2000, Crosswinds was fairly successful in surviving off of advertising revenues, but it was tough due to the decision to have unencumbered service. With the decline of advertising revenue and increase in abuse of our service, we began to institute changes in an effort to cope and continue to exist.

Popups were added to boost revenue and the option to pay to have them removed was added. Then Premium and Email Pro was added and features added to them (and removed from free) to reduce abuse and try to survive.

It has been a very tough time. I have repeatedly heard from users that we must be living well due to all the money we make. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most of the revenue that we receive is reinvested back into Crosswinds to maintain and improve our service to you.

Crosswinds is not a hobby and cannot be. The email support alone requires a team of people. Fixing and upgrading services of this scale requires paid professionals.

Over the past 6 years, the people employed at Crosswinds have received only a fraction of the salaries that they were accustomed to getting.

Most of the income we currently receive is from Premium and Email Pro subscriptions and domain names. In return, these people receive a fuller featured service. These people have put their belief and money into the Crosswinds service and have enabled us to keep the free service going. Free members outnumber the paying members by 100 to 1.

It is this overwhelming ratio that places the strain on Crosswinds.

This cannot continue. We have a right to receive fair (not excessive) compensation for the work that we do - just like anyone else. Paying members have the right to the service that they pay for. The stress placed on us every day to pay our rents, bills and buy food is enormous.

One thing we have known is, if we had received only $1 for every person that had signed up, we would have no problems at all.

Here are the options:

You can choose to pay a yearly fee of $11 to maintain your basic account. That is less than $1/month! If you decide to upgrade to one of the other paid packages, your $11 will be applied to the upgrade and the setup fee will not be charged since you already have decided to support Crosswinds.

$11 is a very small price for the service that you have been receiving and yes, it is ALL that is needed to provide you this service!

You can GO HERE to pay this fee.

If you choose to upgrade to one of our Paid Services, we thank you for the support of the Premium Service! We have a ton of new services ready to roll out for you!

You can GO HERE to upgrade.

If you opt not to take either of the options, your account will be terminated and all files/email removed on May 16th, 2003.

If you choose the Basic rate or upgrade to the Premium Power Pack before May 8th, 2003 you'll be entered into a draw for one of 10 Limited Edition Crosswinds T-Shirts. It reflects the fight, and success, that we have all put forward in continuing to make Crosswinds a great place to have a site.

This decision has taken months to come to. Scott and I founded Crosswinds with free in mind, but the reality of life requires that we make this change.

These changes ensure the future of Crosswinds will be bright and our focus can be on providing a superior service to all our members!

Sincerely,

Tony Holmes

Founder and Senior Systems Architect
Crosswinds Internet Communications Inc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, I wonder whatever happened to their statement, "We will never yank the free service." Guess that was about as valid as their promise never to put ads on free websites. Oh well, their free service was awful since 2001 anyway, and it's about time they rolled over and died (as a free host)!

I wonder what's next for their paying members - are they going to start jacking up the prices of their pay services and start putting limits on disk space and data transfer? I bet they will. Crosswinds.net - once king of free unmetered webspace, now just another pay host out of the thousands on the web.

Last edited:
Hey at least they are telling people, and have put forward a decent offer, $11 for a whole year? i don't think anybody can complain at that.

They could have just shut up shop and disapeared, without giving people the chance to move/backup their files.

A list of crosswinds free customers would be very valuable to somebody right now :confused:

I am suprised they lasted as long as they even did. It is a shame though, that all good and bad free hosts come to an end.

F2S and Crosswinds, two major free hosting companies, have died :( Who's next??? (*COUGH*host.sk*COUGH*)

Crosswinds is a very bad host.
Too much restriction (even on paid accounts), rude support staff and too many "accidents" in deleting or losing clients' accounts.

I would rather use Geocities than having anything to do with CW.

Hopefully, CW will disappear from the web all together.:)

This is just absolutely hilarious. I have been expecting them to die for a long time, and it looks like they have. Although they technically have not "died", they're nothing now. Like Cracker said, they're "just another pay host out of the thousands on the web".

It makes absolutely no difference that $11/year is a very small fee. They obviously don't realize that most of the people on free hosts are teenagers who don't have the ability to pay for the service, although they may have the hard cash in real life. In any case, be it $50, $11, or 50 cents, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

They should be thankful that they had 1 paid user for every 100 free users. Ask most other free hosts (who offer a paid hosting plan at the side), and they'll tell you that free users outnumber paid users by more than 1000 to 1. I would say that 90% of people sign up for a free account and never use it again, so in reality, their free users only outnumber their paid users 10 to 1. Not bad at all!

hmmmmm?

I predict all FREE will be dead.Its getting close.

Anybody with a server can offer free space I guess but internet philosophy is not what it was. It was almost like it was your patriotic duty to devote some time and resources to the free internet. Internet...keep the internet FREE. Internet? Education,Information.. An educated world is better than the opposite.

So people devoted time and resources.Why are some simple web-based tools still free? I guess somebody is still happy to fund them.

I'd guess Crosswinds simply had a philosophy change. Why this nonsense for years and no big money to show for it?

hmmm..this is not cheap...gotta pay a staff of professionals.....(why not volunteers?)

I'd have to read about the $11 hosting. Does it guarantee anything? Like ProHosting. Send in a one time payment. For what? Any business guarantee? I don't get depressed so much by things like $11 hosting but the free concept? Its now not even 'cover the costs' but...I WANT TO GET RICH.

o---some day I'll have my own server and host all my websites myself....100gb..500gb of them? No...its not free but at least I'll know my actual costs and I'm surely not getting rich over myself.

It is rough. Free Hosting dies. Pay hosting is not non-profit or 'cover the costs' but GET RICH.

I know I'm sounding like a communist.

Why not charge for this messageboard? It costs somebody.

Its possible the internet just might die. It took the multi-millions and free to make it thrive. I pay for 8 pay places..actually 11....for what? Make any sense to pay to put information on the web...buy domains and all that stuff? For non-profit hobby?

O-yes...paid hosts must number in the millions now. I'd bet a major portion are crying for customers.

....all I see...

All I see is.....HOSTING FOR YOUR BUSINESS...only $7.99 a month...2 million customers...unlimited bandwidth and space....(ever hear that before?)

If you paid $11 your just filling somebodies pocket because theres no advertising of a $11 plan.

At least at some places they sell ad free economy and its a plan...not some hidden 'send your money in'.....

I lost so many sites there I'd trust them for nothing.

Re: hmmmmm?

Originally posted by zz4
I predict all FREE will be dead.Its getting close........
It is rough. Free Hosting dies. Pay hosting is not non-profit or 'cover the costs' but GET RICH.
Its possible the internet just might die. It took the multi-millions and free to make it thrive. I pay for 8 pay places..actually 11....for what? Make any sense to pay to put information on the web...buy domains and all that stuff? For non-profit hobby

I disagree with almost every aspect of your post zz4. There will always be someone offering free basic hosting I believe, because someone will always be kind enough to offer some off of their server that they have more-than-enough resources on.

I also believe that pay hosting does not get people rich as you said. There are some pretty cheap web hosting out there, and whether it is the best or worst, I doubt people are rolling around naked in money b/c of it.

And finally, I also disagree with your last statement. The internet isnt going to die. The internet has billions of websites, whether they intrest you or not, they intrest someone (hopefully) and they will stay open. When the internet dies, I will run naked through my town screaming and then when the cops begin to chase me, jump on my flying pig.......:D

I am not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, just expressing my opinion as you did yourself.

If you paid $11 your just filling somebodies pocket because theres no advertising of a $11 plan

If you read the statement a little more carefully you'll see that the $11 price is an offer for existing free members to keep their account, not a general package.

--- just an opinion...

I was just expressing a depressed opinion.

Just observe this messageboard.Its still plenty active but allot has turned to begging for free space vs. places offering free space.

Then if a place pops up FREE there are probably all kinds of strings attached such as edit your site 375 times a week,etc. Ivillage had free hosting(or still does?) and they just recent made the TOS a site needed 15 hits a month or it would be deleted.I had a counter and kept up to it and site still vanished. I got kind of tired of the 'strings attached' stuff.Seems most the time you bleed yourself to keep up and still site vanishes.

I have had a hobby of signing up for almost every free host for years and years. How many are left? Out of every new place that showed up 2002 its almost 100% that they all vanished.

Yes.Its true anybody with a server can donate some free space...if they feel inclined to...

I don't really think the billions offering pay hosting now are really getting rich but notice the stray from FREE to 'premium hosting for your business' ??? Crosswinds says if they had a dollar for everybody that signed up they would be doing aok. hey....wheres that old philosophy? Are they charging $1 ?

As to the $11. Thats excellent for a year. I sort of dislike 1 year things only. If I was told I could still have my site for every year coming up staying at some cheap rate..well...

I think Spaceports has a budget banner free option. Year after year. Prohosting. Problem is Prohosting you ship them $$$$ to remove banner but what is the contract? For 30 days? Then the price changes all the time. I bought 2 banner free sites there and then I start getting emails offering the same 'one time' option for half what I paid?

I bought banner free at WorldZone and enjoy it because the company seems responsible enough to close off new signups when they get overloaded.---and it smells like they might still offer it after a year is up....

For hobby non-commercial sites I don't need all the bells and whistles and not gonna pay premium prices just for a stupid hobby site.

The track record for pay economy hosting is pretty poor. There seems no business regulation so its almost as bad as free except they disappear with your money.

I guess its just a question of luck. I've bought some good bargains at SALES with the important thing the promise of grandfathered pricing. Look for these sales. If your lucky the company survives. Like 700mb for $35 a year?

I wish I'd see more cheap banner free options at popular free places but it always seems the standard....$5.99 a month,etc. for 20mb....

I wish FREE hosting well.I still use it.

As to a dead internet..well...that goes into the philosophy of only the richest on earth can afford to participate...and then the 'richest' begin to ask themselves:::::::'Why am I hanging around this internet for?"

USA dollars can be big money outside of the richest countries such as in Europe,Australia,etc.etc.

It was FUN. FREE UNLIMITED.AS MANY SITES AS YOU WANT. hey..then the ads now? I guess ad people only pay for the most obnoxious. Theres still FortuneCity. I was there 3 days ago and it seems the new ad is some spyware-parasite named xupitor. Everybody unfamiliar gets their whole computer re-arranged and takes a wizard hours to get rid of the program. (get that spyware stuff !!! save some grief !!!!)

Before I shut up is it not interesting it seems the places with the money don't seem to want to offer anything free? Some of these corporations throw away billions and trillions of dollars every year over nothing but it would seem the freebies come from some little person trying to get by with a computer or 2 in their house,etc.

Fill up with Exxon-Mobil or Shell or BP 10 times and get a free website for a year?

== heres an example....

This is the stuff that makes me sort of sick. Remember all the promises of FREE FOR LIFE ?

Nobody had to ever say that.

Here is a place that had the most BOLD statement that their FREE option would never die and was FREE FOR LIFE. It went on and on saying IT WAS NO JOKE..NO JOKE...AS LONG AS THEY ARE AROUND YOU WILL NEVER BE CHARGED AND YOUR FREE HOSTING WILL NEVER BE ALTERED,REDUCED,ETC.ETC.

That bold bold page stayed up till a couple weeks ago and still taking sign-ups.

Instant the page gets removed and all promises are as if never made. If you have a free site you have till_____to pay or loose.

Christian Web Hosting at its best.(referring to Truepath)

As long as you had nothing nasty the place was livable.

http://legacy.truepath.com/

o--as to Crosswinds.I had so many sites there that vanished I gave up long ago so never had access to the $11 information.

I think there will always be free hosting. Crosswinds' problem was that they simply got too big, and most of those members joined in the glory days of CW, when they offered unmetered webspace with no ads, and CW still managed to make money. However, those hundreds of thousands of free members that were once their biggest assets soon turned into their biggest liabilities.

Last edited:
Back