• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Credit Card Security

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
The guy is a great writer, which makes it all that more hillarious.

That was funny.

I work at a retail store and I try to make an effort to match up the signatures. Honestly almost everyones varies by a lot in comparison to the one on the back of the card.

Gayowulf said:
That was funny.

I work at a retail store and I try to make an effort to match up the signatures. Honestly almost everyones varies by a lot in comparison to the one on the back of the card.
That makes me think of a recent event that happened to me at a nearby BCL store.

I was in there purchasing a fair ammount of alcohol, and upon reaching the counter I was carded, which isn't a big deal at all.
So I hand the guy my two pieces of ID, proving my age, when he does the unexpected and checks the signatures.

For most people this wouldn't be a big deal, however in my case, my second piece of ID is my care card which was issued just months after my birth and thus has my mother's signature instead of mine. I was not prepared for this as it hasn't happened any of the other dozens of times I have purchased alcohol.

So he proceeds to whip out a blank sheet of paper, which I was to sign several times and have compared to that on my BCID.
Again, this should be a problem except for the fact my signature on paper looks alot different than the one I signed on a tiny LCD screen with a tiny pen at the DMV.

Finally after some argument I paid the cash and walked away with several twixes of Vodka.

(wow, I so went off-topic)

as someone who worked at a liquor store, I know I never checked the signature on the receipt. Didn't care. That made that article that much funnier. All I ever did was take the card so they wouldn't try and run off without signing for the purchase.

Yea, when I was working cash I would keep their card until after they signed. The best is when I point out to people that they haven't signed their card. Hell, sometimes I made them show me ID with their signature before giving them their card back. Anyways, I tell them "You should sign the back of your card". They reply "I, don't sign my cards. It's for security reasons. If someone finds/steals my card, then they can just copy my signature". Seriously, at least three people have told me that (now, I don't remember if it was the same person three times, but on three seperate occasions that is what I was told).

And yes, I have read that article, and quite funny. Really, the signature doesn't give any sort of guarantee. I usually use my debit card anyways. CC only for internet purchases and paying at the pump.

I don't have a cc yet
heck, I dont even have a signiature

Wojtek in plain letters... :(
anyone creative enough to make me up some signiature? :p

I work at a uni mart and have never been stressed to check signatures on credit cards.

Travelers checks are a different story though. I have to check the check to make sure theres that security bar is on it, check the signature, and write down that persons drivers license id.

cowax said:
I work at a uni mart and have never been stressed to check signatures on credit cards.

Travelers checks are a different story though. I have to check the check to make sure theres that security bar is on it, check the signature, and write down that persons drivers license id.
Lots of places around here no longer accept travellers checks due to an incredible ammount of counterfeit checks floating around the past few summers. :shame:

I didn't read that whole article, but my dad's signature looks a lot like that. A huge O then a few scribbles, then a huge C (almost a loop) and a few more scribbles.

Back