• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cpanel redirect problems

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
The redirect system in cpanel isn't quite working right for me. Even manually editing the .htaccess file didn't fix the problem. I am trying to get / to redirect to /test/filled%20version.htm but the cpanel redirect always takes it to /test/filled%2520version.htm Why is cpanel adding in this 25? OF course when it does that it creates an error because there is no file by %2520. Any ideas?

Why is this now in the paid hosting section? I'm not asking a question for or relating to paid hosting. This is just about cpanel in general.

heymrdj said:
Why is this now in the paid hosting section? I'm not asking a question for or relating to paid hosting. This is just about cpanel in general.
It's web hosting related. You're likely to get more help here anyhow.

computerhelpworld said:
Doesn't really solve your problem but why not just use a javascript redirect?

Well i don't really have an old page to direct from. I built up a template package, but not thinking of the public_htm system. So if I moved them to where I didn't need a redirect, fixing all the images would be hell on earth to say the least.

heymrdj said:
The redirect system in cpanel isn't quite working right for me. Even manually editing the .htaccess file didn't fix the problem. I am trying to get / to redirect to /test/filled%20version.htm but the cpanel redirect always takes it to /test/filled%2520version.htm Why is cpanel adding in this 25? OF course when it does that it creates an error because there is no file by %2520. Any ideas?
It's not necessarily cPanel's fault. The reason it does that is because the URL "code" for a percent sign is %25. cPanel takes %20, and thinks that that is actually what the URL is, and so turns it into %2520

Try using an actual space in the URL when setting up the redirect in cPanel.

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<script language="javascript"><!--
location.replace("http://redirectURL.com/redirectedpage.html")
//-->
</script>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>

<body>

</body>

</HTML>

Just make that as index.html and it'll redirect to the page you choose.

computerhelpworld said:
Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<script language="javascript"><!--
location.replace("http://redirectURL.com/redirectedpage.html")
//-->
</script>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>

<body>

</body>

</HTML>
Just make that as index.html and it'll redirect to the page you choose.

This worked perfectly, thanks alot.

Back