• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Could someone please bring me up to speed?

Nick

NLC
I'm going to be launching a new website soon and it's been at least four years since I've actually had anything that was on paid hosting. So basically, I feel completely out of the loop. The last three or four websites I did were on Tera-Byte.com and after browsing through their site and seeing that the members section page was last updated in 2004, it got me thinking about looking around to see what else was out there and what kind of prices I should be paying.

My new website is my first serious attempt at serving a broad range and large number of users and because of this I want to have plenty of head room for growth. Furthermore, I want a company that has been around for a long time and I can feel comfortable that the available plans are going stay the same. The plan I was looking at on Tera-Byte was around $100/year and included these features, which are the most important to me:

• 800MB space
  • PHP/Perl & MySQL
  • 40 GB transfer/month
  • Subdomains
  • Generous amount of POP3 Email Accounts

Using those things mentioned as a baseline, is $100/yr good? bad? generally expected?

Are there better deals? Maybe I could get more space or bandwidth for around the same cost or less?

I'm sure there's going to be more questions popping in my head soon about this. But I figured I'd start asking what I had and go from there. Thanks in advance :).

$100 / year should be more than enough to get you what you're looking for. With the advancement in technology these days, space and bandwidth are getting cheaper so expect more bang for your buck.

Why don't you post in the requests section to see the offers you can get? You should be able to get more space for your budget.

You can get cheaper if you don't go with cPanel/DirectAdmin too.
What is your site about?, how fast do you think it'll grow? - Check WHT if you haven't.

You can get cheaper if you don't go with cPanel/DirectAdmin too.
What is your site about?, how fast do you think it'll grow? - Check WHT if you haven't.

What do you mean don't go with cPanel/DirectAdmin?

I don't really want to go into detail about the site. After extensive searching over the past few months while I've been working on this, I've found nothing like it and only one website that was remotely similar yet poorly executed. My target demographic is ridiculously large, so with proper website promotion and execution of my idea it could attract visitors exponentially at a fast rate. All in all, I'm not getting too excited about it becoming an overnight success or anything but I would like to have the breathing room if it blows up on me too fast.

Well, if you think it'll get big, why not get a VPS to start?
And I mean if you do get a VPS to start, you can just use LXAdmin or something.

I know I was thinking of having head room, but would a VPS really be necessary from the start? I've purposely made the design very light on graphics, keeping pages extremely small in size.

The only thing I wonder about is the amount of php scripts that collectively make up all of it, pretty much every page is a script that will be running a laundry list of math computations. Database usage will only be if I decide to start a forum (which, I'm not sure if I even want to deal with that), so I don't know if that makes any difference.

I run Antsta right now off a cheap VPS. $5 for this month, $10 there after. It's from the sister company of A2B2, so they're pretty good. The speed isn't excellent but it's in America so for me it's not great. 100kbs average which is still okay I guess.

Instant setup etc. http://www.fsckvps.com

It's cheap, normally I would say too cheap and wouldn't host with them, but since it's a sister comp of A2B2 I thought I'd give them a whirl. I think the coupon code for the $5 first month is 50OFF, there's another that is 30% off I think for life. Since I use LXAdmin and no management, it's cheap.

512MB Guarantee RAM
1Gb Burstable Ram
20GB Disk Space
400GB Transfer approx
600Mhz Guarenteed CPU

Last edited:
Nick, you would be better of looking around some hosts and contact them to see if they will allow you to upgrade if things got big. Ideally someone that offers both shared and VPS. No need to start off with a VPS if you find a decent host with upgrade options.

You should start off on shared hosting then upgrade to a VPS if your site is too resource intensive for a shared environment.

Nick, you would be better of looking around some hosts and contact them to see if they will allow you to upgrade if things got big. Ideally someone that offers both shared and VPS. No need to start off with a VPS if you find a decent host with upgrade options.

That is correctly said. I suppose that most of VPS providers have what to offer in the shared web hosting.
But you can move to another web host as well, once thing is annual payment which tie you with web host for the one year.

Annual payment that is in any case sort of risk. If you are sure about your prospective host. I believe that is a deal, because as rule with annual payment you have 1-2 months free.

I'm fairly certain there are multiple providers that are selling Intel Atom servers that would be well within your price range and requirements.

Side note, this is the first time that somebody has actually provided a realistic budget in ages.

Back