• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cost of Iraq War ( $204.6 Billion)

I think it was worth it.

Besides, $204 billion is nothing when you look at the overall federal budget. We spend tons of money on failing projects like welfare, social security, federal endowment for the arts, etc.

To liberals, government spending is only important and "too much" when it comes to matters of national security, but you will never hear a liberal say we are spending too much on subsidizing "art" or fighting the "war on poverty" (which has been a worse failure than vietnam.. trillions of dollars spent and poverty still exists in no less numbers than it did before!).

Conscript said:
I think it was worth it.

Besides, $204 billion is nothing when you look at the overall federal budget. We spend tons of money on failing projects like welfare, social security, federal endowment for the arts, etc.

And Iraq isn't a failing projet? :rolleyes2

Conscript said:
I think great progress has been made and good things are on the horizon too.

I highly doubt that. I don't think we've really helped the situation over there at all unless we perputually keep our troops there.

And really, I don't think welfare is a failed project. Its because Americans like leniant tax laws. Look at Britian. The social services and welfare there is great--but no one is too wealthy because of a very high taxed rate. If Americans were willing to put up with such a high tax rate and spend alot more money on welfare, then it would be just as good as the one in Britian. Poverty would be greately reduced. Its not that we're spending too much money on domestic things like welfare, its because we aren't spending enough. The 204 billion in Iraq doesn't have anything to do with national security. Iraq was never threatening us. They had no weapons of mass destruction, they did not have connection to Al-Queda(that much has pretty much been proven), and they did not attack us or were even planning to attack us. We went in there for out own political reasons, there was no issue of national security with Iraq. Bush simply did it because his "war on bin-Ladden" wasn't going well and he needed an evil dictator to go after to make himself look good.

That is alot of money.

I heard one republican talk about everyone is concerned about there own pursuit of happiness but isn't that in the constitution? Conservatives are half religous zealots trying to tell everyone how to live like some kind of Fascism and half rich. I am all for war though because we are under attack so they should get anyone that imposes any threat even those that preach their ideals. Saddam Hussein was a viscous and ruthless dictator who used chemical weapons against other Iraqis. Where is Osama Bin Ladin though? They still haven't found him. I think that poverty still exists because as the old saying goes "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for life."

Last edited:
Wake up and smell the blood, Conscript. Yes, progress has been made, but I don't know how long people on the hill can keep using that as cover-up for every other bad thing that goes on in that country (not including the bill that we have to pay).

At a time when the trade deficit is going to swallow us alive, do you really think we should have spent $205 billion dollars overseas fighting a fight we probably wouldn't have won (stable country, stable government)? Whoever still does war strategy over at the White House needs to get fired, immediately. Ever heard of a Plan B? From the looks of things, they really didn't have anything to fall back on.

Last edited:
i believe is a high costo to show that they are making an heroic effort to "protect" their nation...it's clearly a personal war where lot of money is the pricnipal goal to achive...i really believe that the took advantage of the situations...Saddam Husein was in any moment a trheat... the problems between his family and Bush's family wasn't US problem, and i believe that many inocents have paid the voratious greed of all the nations that have been interfiered... All theses expenses are going to be retribuited at a hig cost of teror, death and more anger in the confusing world we're living in.

Conscript said:
How come your welfare is so bad? I was talking to someone about the proposed workplace agreements changes - which the ALP has said could mean no minimum wages - which is bad, although I do otherwise believe in it.

They said even if we did get rid of minimum wages entirely, Australia will never become like America because employers will still need to offer their workers enough money or they'll just take the welfare.

It's because everyone here wants everything for nothing. Case in point--Walmart. :rolleyes2

And it's because of that attitude that I even go bug-eyed when I look at my pay stub and the taxes that get deducted. They want people doing stuff for a living (or partially...meh you get the idea) instead of just sitting around at home. Min wage is going to be $6.75 as of Jan. 1, 2006, and then $7.15 on Jan 1, 2007.

Last edited:
Meksilon said:
How come your welfare is so bad? I was talking to someone about the proposed workplace agreements changes - which the ALP has said could mean no minimum wages - which is bad, although I do otherwise believe in it.

They said even if we did get rid of minimum wages entirely, Australia will never become like America because employers will still need to offer their workers enough money or they'll just take the welfare.

America has 295 million citizens, Australia has 20 million. In saying that, everything in the U.S. will be much higher, from poverty, to the amount of money the U.S. spends per year and makes per year.

The U.S. has always been extremely generous with fundings.

Daniel said:
And lots of things are still underfunded. :rolleyes:

Well, we call that bad politicians. The money is there, but it somehow doesn't make it to it's destination. If the U.S. actually kept better accounting records of the money spent in Iraq, you can bet it will be much less than 204.6 Billion.

I have a friend there now, another who just got back, another who got half his face burnt off, half the people I work with have family there, or knows someone there, neighbor etc. I think its all a big waste of time, money, manpower, not mention what little credibility the USA had, is all gone. Oh, not to mention Bush is a liar, war criminal, conspiracy advocate, and general moron of the state. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this "great and free" country, where the only real connection I have to it is a birth certificate, and a DD-214.

Yet you have to think something of the people in the country....he's still there..adter an ELECTION.

Moron of the state? If he got elected again after all the crap he's done, you think two things:

1) He's doing something right
2) He's a representative of the US...

Regards,

He got elected again because there aren't enough intelligent people to vote Nader.

Back