• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Connection Speed

Dark Matter

Hey!

I am not really starting a profitable host as such or something big that the public can sign up to, just a home server which i can host few websites and share files (legal sharing)

I just wanted to know what you thought of this as the specs of the internet provider i am going to go for and tell me if its suitable and fast enough to run a server..

# Static IP Address
# 50mb Download
# 15mb Upload
# Fibre Optics

Thanks for your help :)

That would be perfect for personal websites. The only downside you'll have is that you will need to leave a computer on 24/7, which would cost more than paying a lower cost with shared hosting.

[JSH]John;1065130 said:
That would be perfect for personal websites. The only downside you'll have is that you will need to leave a computer on 24/7, which would cost more than paying a lower cost with shared hosting.

Depending on your PC, one of our home PC's uses less than 3p a day due to the PSU we use init :)

Just curious, is that with Virgin Media? They are the only company I know of that offers 50MB FO lines. How much are you expecting to pull over X amount of hours? Virgin restricts your speeds to around 8MB for the course of 6 something hours on average. If it's constant, they'll either over-bill you, or cut you off completely - they will cotton on to you file sharing over their lines (legal or not), it's still agaisnt their TOS.

Just curious, is that with Virgin Media? They are the only company I know of that offers 50MB FO lines. How much are you expecting to pull over X amount of hours? Virgin restricts your speeds to around 8MB for the course of 6 something hours on average. If it's constant, they'll either over-bill you, or cut you off completely - they will cotton on to you file sharing over their lines (legal or not), it's still agaisnt their TOS.

Sounds like Verizon FiOS, imo :)

Also, check with the TOS of your ISP. Some do not allow you to host other websites; might be against their policy. Doing so could get your internet cut off, be careful! If all else fails as others have said it would not be a bad idea to look into reseller or shared hosting.

Also, check with the TOS of your ISP. Some do not allow you to host other websites; might be against their policy. Doing so could get your internet cut off, be careful! If all else fails as others have said it would not be a bad idea to look into reseller or shared hosting.

Indeed you need pre discuss that with your web hosting provider to avoid any troubles.

Do they have 15MB upload speeds? If they do then I wish I was able to get VM. :p I have a 2.5MB upload speed with Be* (ADSL2+) and no restrictions.

I am currently with Virgin Media now.... It sucks hahah

I am moving to a new house which is in a new village thats being developed, only 40 people live there so far...

Fibre optic cables have been laid as the village is been developed, the company is called "seethelight" they offer max 50mb download and 10mb upload... but for an extra £5 a month they can increase the upload by 50% so that means 15mb upload.

When virgin media say they are fibre optic but curious as its copper cables coming into your home lol..

there is ethernet ports around the new home that you just plug in and your away on the internet...

When virgin media say they are fibre optic but curious as its copper cables coming into your home lol..

That's because you are using cables... how else do you plan for it to come into your home? The network for VM is firbe optic. Just from the green boxes on the end of your street, to your router is copper.

That's because you are using cables... how else do you plan for it to come into your home? The network for VM is firbe optic. Just from the green boxes on the end of your street, to your router is copper.

Fair enough, but i think its funny how only within the past couple years they been advertising themselves as being high speed fibre optics and had tv advertisements about it like its some new thing when they must been there for years... as we got cable when it was still known as NTL nothing was advertised as being fibre optic and nothing has changed since, no construction ect, them fibre optics must been there for years and years and they only now start offering these high speed services... hmm meh.

And a lot of people complain about not getting full speed but getting like only 8mb on a 20mb connection, i thought fibre optics was an almost guaranteed full speed and if they have a loss in 12mb just by the data traveling down the street, then that sucks!

Then again i am not an expert in all this, i wouldn't be posting a thread about connection speeds if i knew a lot haha :p

Last edited:
You only get the speed you can get depending how far away you are from the exchange point, quality of the wires, amount of data being shared, speed of the network on the website etc. Then the computer itself, router, Ethernet cables. Loads of factors alter the speed you can get.

There is the cost aswell. If only 50MB lines were only £50 bucks a month with unlimited data and 15MB upload.

I remember when they were known as Telewest, although at that time I only had cable TV from them. It wasn't too bad.

Their adverts are just trying to get the none technical people to sign up. Anyone that's a little technically minded knows how bad VM are.

Hey!

I am not really starting a profitable host as such or something big that the public can sign up to, just a home server which i can host few websites and share files (legal sharing)

I just wanted to know what you thought of this as the specs of the internet provider i am going to go for and tell me if its suitable and fast enough to run a server..

# Static IP Address
# 50mb Download
# 15mb Upload
# Fibre Optics
If you are going to host your personal site only then I suggest to go for VPS or cheap dedicated server.

Kailash

Back