• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computers + Illegal Operations HELP!

DJFaz

Yo! , Errrrr can sum 1 help me please please please! fix my problems with my computer ! oh well here we go!!

When u start my computer i have a message! that ses summin like this.

"This file blah blah blah has been deleted windows may not run properly without please reinstall the file/program (not sure) associated with the file.
Press any key to continue
vmlr.vxd (dats the file name i fink)"

How would i fix this! any help?

Ok next prob when my computer loads i have sum illegal operations to close b4 i actually do wot i want. Sum times its one or more! i basically 99.999999% of the time have

RunDLL (Summin like dat)
Illegal Operation

Then wen my computer feels like it will also have the following illegal operations.

Backweb
Savenow

I think ders 1 more i 4got it now if i remember i will edited post.
Any help on fixing these probs....?

Ok another one! once my computer has started and ready to go (10 mins l8r) If i connect to the internet straight away as soon as its logged on !
i get

Explorer
ILLEGAL OPERATION

I close dat den it goes to active desktop den i restore then countinue with what i am doing...

But sum times wen i leave my computer say 5-10 mins after its loaded then connected i dont get the illegal operation?!?:confused2 HELP! how can i fix this? i have IE6 if this helps... !!!

Also explorer wants to do mor eillgal operatiosn every now & den when i browsing webpages.. like to day downloading the news half life patch & half way through on my 56K EXPLORER CRASHES & i have to start download again!! when it crashes i have to restore active desktop!!! GRRR

I also had a prob today where i went into my C:\ & it sumtimes has a ILLEGAL OPERATION on EXPLORER again & closed C:\ when i do get into it & get to where i want i went to open a NEW TEXT DOCUMENT in my half life directory i get the same! SOME 1 PLEASE HELP! i would be v.greatful! also explorer when it feels like it doesnt RESPON and i have CTRL+ALT+DLT

I know ders alot to take in here! and as i said ur help will be greatly appreciated! also if sum one wants to tell me wot
the following ILLEGAL OPERATIONS are to do with what program... ok thanks once again Please HELP! :biggrin2:

EDIT: I am running windows 98 if that helps!

Faz

Last edited:
First of all, I suggest running scandisk... And not just checking for lost files, do a complete surface scan as well, because it sounds like either you have some oddball virus that is deleting dll files, or, more likely, your HD is developing bad sectors.
A surface scan with scandisk will find those sectors and block them off but whatever data was there is already gone. Keep in mind that a surface scan takes quite a bit of time, but be patient and let it finish.
If scandisk reports any bad sectors, go out as soon as you possibly can, and get a new HD. Once they start developing sector problems, they tend to snowball rapidly. If scandisk does not report any bad sectors, run a thorough virus scan (best to do that regularly anyway). If that all checks good, try re-installing Windows, as Win98 has the odd habit of corrupting its own files on occasion.

Yer today i gotta go work! is it ok if i leave my computer on scandisk while i am out? will it need me to be there! or will if fix probs automatically?

It is safe to leave scandisk running while you are at work, but I don't think that will fix the problems. I would reinstall win98 after the full scandisk. (When you return from work ;))

yep! kool ! if i reinstall windows98 can sum 1 tell me the exact thing wot to do ! see if have files which i need to keep on my computer i have no CDwr either! like internet connect files! the disk i got from cable i lost it so how would i go bout dat? & many other things like website files music documents etc! wots the exact disk i should be looking for cos i have no disk which sed window 98 on ! i have works 2000 :confused2 and a

HP Pavilion
Recovery disk! still seald!

ok cheers in advance

Faz

Ohhhhhhhhh.......then use your recovery disk, but unfortunately some of these recovery disks will format your hard drive. Put the disk in and see what options it gives you please.

Write the options here as stated when you do that.

It's a sad fact that most recovery disks require you to reformat your HD and then they reinstall everything, setting your system back to "factory" configuration so any added hardware has to have the drivers re-installed, any additional software has to be re-installed, and any files that have been created since the computer was new, are lost. The best "legal" option is to buy a copy of Win98SE upgrade and reinstall on top of the existing install (assuming no bad sectors were found with scandisk). Other options are to buy a new HD, set it as primary master (C:\) drive and run the recovery disk onto it, then copy your drivers and data from your old drive into the new. You'll still have to reinstall any software you had, but you'll save all your data (or at least whatever is recoverable from your HD if it DID have bad sectors).
Another option, not quite 100% legal, but fair, since you DO have a licensed copy of Win98, is to borrow the upgrade disk from somebody and use it to reinstall windows.

I have/had a Compaq computer and their recovery disk also requires a clean start :confused2

BUT, when I had so many problems with it from the start and *set it to factory configuration* so often, the *help desk* gave me a way to to reinstall win98 without the recovery disk.

Not sure your settings will be the same DJFaz, but go to windows/system/options/cabs and see if there is a setup.exe in there. If there is, run it and see if it is the setup for win98. :)

See if you can find the files on the internet or on the setup disk..

OTHERWISE

try and edit

SYSTEM.INI
or
WIN.INI

and delete the line that has those references to that file. Its the cheap way, but it works:D

Back