• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computer Experts needed, really urgent!

el crapo

Ok here's the deal, over the years, I upgraded my computer and I realized that I upgraded practically everything. And since my aunt's 133Mhz computer died on her last month I decided to build her one out of my old parts. But i needed a case first so i bought one.

I put everything together, and i pressed the power button. I heard absolutely nothing. NOTHING AT ALL. But the Computer still worked and went through the boot sequence and all that but since the HD was blank it asked for a system disk and blahbity blahbity blah. Ok then, it froze. I couldn't turn the computer off. I pressed it and it wouldnt turn off, then I held the button for like 15sec and it still didnt turn off.

So I stupidly turned off the power switch on the power supply and it never turned on again EVER. So I brought my extra power supply in thinking it was the problem, and it still didnt work. So then I brought my old 333mhz celeron and it still didnt work....then I tried new memory, then I even bought a new mobo thinking it coulda been that, not the problem. Then I thought it mightve been the power cable from the case and I disected my own computer and tried to my own case with her parts and NOTHING. IDK WHAT TO DO! Someone help.

Take out everything(including the hard drive) except for the ram, proc., and video card, and try booting with that.

if it's an ATX case did you connect the power button wire to the motherboard correctly? It won't power up if that's not or wrongly connected.
A new case would be cheaper then getting a new motherboard though

(Other things going through my head would be to get the manual and find the reset CMOS jumper and do that. or check/replace the battery although that shouldn't keep it from booting...
oh... connect the speaker at least too if it isn't, at least you'll hear beeps if there's a hardware problem)

Last edited:
Wow, I feel really dumb. Well I found out that on the new motherboard that I bought, I realized I forgot to switch the CMOS jumper from "clear" to "normal" but then when it starts up it says "CMOS size WRONG". And then it says press F1 for setup and F2 to change settings to default and continue. But by then the computer freezes and nothing happens when I press a button. And when I try to restart the computer freezes again but a lot earlier. Almost right away. Anybody know what to do??

Clear CMOS again.

Unplug any devices (hard drive, cd-rom) and bootup.

See if you can get into BIOS.

Originally posted by Robert
Clear CMOS again.

Unplug any devices (hard drive, cd-rom) and bootup.

See if you can get into BIOS.

Tried it. It's a cycle. can't ever get into the BIOS idk why. It just keeps on giving me CMOS errors, then I reboot and it freezes. Then I clear the CMOS for a couple of minutes, and then I try again and it happens again. GAH! it's frustrating. It's a PCCHIPS mobo, I shoulda known. But it was only cheap socket 370 mobo I could find. Do you think I would be able to return it or something? OR is this fixable?

I'd say RMA/return the mobo. It's most probably defective or is just too much of a bitch to use.

Back