• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Competition] The F-S Apprentice: Applications OPEN now! 1000USD+ Prizes!!!

James

Always moving..
NLC
F-S APPRENTICE COMPETITION
21st June -> 30th August, 2008
deadline for applications: 16th of June, 2008

1000 USD PAYPAL CASH + PRIZES

This competition is about running your own free web hosting service.

It's also about working in a team of people, helping your team win!

Great prizes on offer, it will be a fantastic experience for anyone.

This competition is for everyone! Now please read on!

Introduction

There are many free web hosts around. If you look through the free hosting directories regularly like me, you will see how often new names come up and then vanish. Most are ran by individuals who want to experiment or took it up as a hobby. Nevertheless, the free web hosting industry is growing, recently we started seeing many larger companies starting up free service subdivisions.

So I started asking myself, why is this happening? Why are free hosts being created by so many for a short term lifespan? My answer: People love the idea of running a web service themselves and they sincerely enjoy it, whether they are the owner or a volunteering staff involved. But the harsh business side of this world bring them down – lack of funding, unforeseen problems and troubles, lack of time.

It is a pity when we see the love for free hosting go completely wasted. Free-space.net has come up with an event which we hope will have many positive effects and outcomes towards this.

The F-S Apprentice is a competition open to anyone who currently do not own/operate a free hosting service. If you are a staff member involved in another free website service, you must leave this position to enter this competition event. If you feel you have an exceptional case for whatever reason, you may let us know and see if this can be waived.

How the competition will work.

We cannot disclose all the details of this competition at this point but we can tell you it is not something you will want to miss. Great cash winnings as well as exciting events, tasks and unexpected surprises!

We will accept 12 or 24 applicants to participate in this competition which begins on the 21st of June 2008. All individuals accepted will be then put into teams.

1: Each team will be given a budget and server to provide from. You do not spend any of your own money in this competition :eek3:

2: Teams will be each running a free cpanel web hosting service and using the budget given, will be able to add needed products and features.

3: A chosen branding .com and server space to host website / free clients will be provided by F-S.

4: Each week, there will be tasks in which all teams will compete.

5: Each week, the losing teams will each have one of their members fired.

6: Team personnel may shift during the competition.

7: At the end of the contest, the free hosts will continue service under the F-S management.

We will not enclose any further details about the running of the competition at this point as already mentioned.

The Prizes:

1: The members of the winning team will receive 200 USD paypal cash, each.

2: From the winning team we will pick 1 winner, titled: F-S Apprentice 2008

3: Weekly tasks in which winning team leader will receive 50 USD paypal cash.

4: In total, over 1000 USD in paypal cash being given away during this contest.

Eligibility:

1: No country of residence restrictions.

2: Minimum age – 13 years old.

3: Frequent online availability from 21th of June till 30th of August.

4: You need to have a valid, verified paypal account.

5: All applications are to be emailed answering all questions.

6: The whole competition is participated at the convenience of your home internet connection.

7: The deadline for applications: Monday, 16th of June 2008

Applying:

Please email james[AT]free-space.net with the following included:

1: Your full name.

2: Country of residence, city.

3: Why you are applying to F-S apprentice competition.

4: Why you should be accepted as a competitor in the F-S apprentice competition.

5: Your own website URL. (State: none, if you do not have any)

6: Do you have any kind of connection/affiliation to a free web hosting service?

7: Contact details: Email, MSN

8: About you. Tell us about yourself. Got any special talents? (You may attach audio/video and other types of files)

We will pick the best 12/24 applications. You will receive an email when we have received your application by email. Please apply early, we are anticipating huge interest. The deadline is 16th of June, 2008.
If you have any questions do contact us via the Free-space.net website.

I have a question, If it's only a competition, and it will be taken over in the end by F-S, why do you have to loose your current positions at other free hosting companies?

Hi Dynash,

Several reasons, firstly those who run, or are part of other free hosts have an unfair advantage of experience. Secondly this is a F-S event and we do not wish to involve other free hosts staff members, I think this is slightly disrespectful to the hosts concerned.

I also ask you, if you win 200+ USD during those 2 months would that be more than what you will ever earn working voluntarily for a free host? ;)

Best

You're fired!

... someone had to do it. :p

Btw, I'd so love to do this, not for the money just for fun! But I understand the advantages of already being a host! So good luck with this competition! :D You might want to check digitalpoint out, with a thread stating you are giving away $1000USD you'll have people serving you as if you were god! Haha!

Last edited:
J J

I will do the firing thank you very much.

Actually having been a free host owner previous might help, it might not. The ones who were previous involved in free hosting do not tend to make any radical changes. They stick to their routine setup.

I honestly believe the people will come up with some innovative ideas through this project, not the same old rubbish we see around everywhere.

It's also about being part of a team which works. If the people who you work with don't like you, who's likely to be fired? :p All in all this event will be a fascinating experience for all those involved and I hope it will be a beginning of a better understanding between the free web hosts and the people.

I can sense the huge interest already - get your best possible applications in!

Thanks all.

I sent off my application. I'm hoping this will be fun as well as a good competition! :)

This is a unique opportunity, hopefully you'll get enough people to get this show running! ;-) - Heh, just finished watching 'Dragons Den', I love these shows. :)

I almost smell a reality show coming on here ...haha
Good idea James ...sounds fun!

I sent off my application. I'm hoping this will be fun as well as a good competition! :)

This is a unique opportunity, hopefully you'll get enough people to get this show running! ;-) - Heh, just finished watching 'Dragons Den', I love these shows. :)

Thank you J J.

It's about time people like you stopped watching those shows and actually be part of one. This is the chance, trust me. pirate2

Look forward to firing many of you.

Interesting Idea, tho i agree with Dynash, its stupid to force people to leave their current host to join your comp :p

Good Luck everyone!

Questions

Are we allowed to own a paid host?
Will the tasks have a budget for each team or is it strictly free?
Would the winner get a paid job (salery/base) at site managed?

1: Each team will be given a budget and server to provide from. You do not spend any of your own money in this competition

2: Teams will be each running a free cpanel web hosting service and using the budget given, will be able to add needed products and features.

7: At the end of the contest, the free hosts will continue service under the F-S management.

So i guess not :/
I have another question. would I be able to signup if I just "left" as a form of vacation from the host I work at? because it's for sale still, and well I don't want to leave early incase it doesn't happen to sell.

Are we allowed to own a paid host?
Will the tasks have a budget for each team or is it strictly free?
Would the winner get a paid job (salery/base) at site managed?

Paid host is ok, but of course you won't be allowed to advertise your host in any shape or form during the competition!

Every team will have a max budget, budget provided 100% by the competition.

We have many possibilities open for the winner, cannot reveal more than that at this point.

Cheers!

So i guess not :/
I have another question. would I be able to signup if I just "left" as a form of vacation from the host I work at? because it's for sale still, and well I don't want to leave early incase it doesn't happen to sell.

You can still apply and see if you get the place. Remember though that the interest is high and we have 24 maxmium places! You obviously arn't going to get a place with a application you drafted up in 20 seconds. :cool2:

This event will be one of the most fun things you can possibly do on the net. And it is totally unique, at the convenience of your home internet too!

Cheers!

Back