• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Compare Dedicated server companies/File hosting services

LittlBUGer

Hello. I own a semi-popular downloads website which I host on one server while the actual files/downloads are hosted on another server. This downloads server is very low-end ( AMD Sempron 3000, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, CentOS with lighttpd, no control panel, etc.) and is connected via a 100Mbit shared line with a 3300GB bandwidth limit. Originally, I had it on a 10Mbit dedicated unmetered line but I hoped that by upgrading to the 100Mbit, I'd get better burst speeds, faster transfers/downloads, and a bit more bandwidth in general. Well, this doesn't seem to be the case so I'm looking for a new server or file hosting service hopefully on a better and faster network.

Right now, I'm considering the following companies/services:

* Profithost.net - Decent Dedicated server with nice bandwidth
* Redhostservers.com - OK Dedicated server with awesome bandwidth
* Server4you.com - Great Dedicated server with good bandwidth

* File-services.com - Decently priced pure file hosting with OK features
* MegaUpload Business account with Hotlink Quota - Decently priced pure file hosting with nice features

Any suggestions, reactions, concerns, or any other information you have on these or others would be great. Thanks. :)

Are these legal files? That might help with some suggestions.
How much bandwidth are you using now?
Have you watched the server load and bandwidth usage what is your average bandwidth usage per second 1, 2, 3, mbps etc?

Yes, all files are legal, most are freeware. My host actually has never given me any bandwidth records yet in the several months I've been with them using the download server, but I do have a total limit of 3300GB so it can't be any more than that. I have some MRTG graphs but I think they are misleading as they say I've only ever peaked at 10-12Mbps but that can't be when I can barely only download at 20KB/s while any other sites maxes out my connection. So I think it's their network or saturated shared line that's slowing me down. I'm not entirely sure though.

I can provide links to the MRTG graphs if it would help, but as I said, I think they are misleading. Thanks.

What I was looking to see was if it was your hardware getting a lot of usage or there network. Sounds like it is there network and not actually there server.

How much space are you using?

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's not the hardware, as there's only CentOS with lighttpd on there so it should be able to handle itself pretty well, and I doubt I ever have more than 50 users downloading anything at once.

I'm using about 40GB space or so right now. :)

Sorry, I have no suggestions, but I did note your problems with downloading earlier today. Your stuff is fantastic, and I hope you get this sorted out right shortly.

Sorry, I have no suggestions, but I did note your problems with downloading earlier today. Your stuff is fantastic, and I hope you get this sorted out right shortly.

Thanks for your support. I know I'll get it resolved, just don't know with whom yet... ;)

The 'guest' uploading feature on my site isn't that great at the moment, and that's mainly because of my current script that I use. Once I finish coding my new script, this will change dramatically.

As for the content, as long as it's not illegal or warez or anything, then it's allowed. Most of the current content is freeware or shareware. I don't think I really have anything else. :)

Server4you.com
I have heard a lot of this company. Make sure they allow your type of content on the server. I personally recommend you looking at Santrex.net. They have more then enough different kind of web hosting and seems they have all of kinds legal content allowed. IMO.
And I think that all content userds upload must be moderated by you.

Well, as I said, I'm still looking, but getting very tired of looking. I wish I could have a bigger budget, even double what I have now to afford like a 1Gbps unmetered server from fdcservers.net or something (which would be 50Mbit average), but since I've lost a lot of traffic on my site recently, ad revenue has dropped so much I don't make any profit and I don't have enough hosting clients/revenue coming in yet to cover extra expenses either.

I think that by the end of this week, if I still don't know what's going on yet, I may just bite the bullet and increase my budget to $450 or something to try and get something better and make my community happy. Damn that's a lot more than I wanted to spend, but there's a reason for credit cards right? ;)

I'm not really requesting an offer, I'm looking for suggestions or opinions on what I said in my first post and such. If someone really wishes to give me an offer, they can PM me anytime they want. Thanks for the info though.

Related to this, I noticed that midphase.com dedicated servers had 10TB bandwidth limit on a 100Mbit line. I talked with their support for a long time and they guaranteed me (after talking with their tech) that it truly was a 100Mbit dedicated non-shared line with a 10TB bandwidth limit (so not fully unmetered). Has anyone had any experience with them with this? I know they get their servers from softlayer, but this offer seems too good to be true for the price.

Thanks again for your help everyone. :)

Related to this, I noticed that midphase.com dedicated servers had 10TB bandwidth limit on a 100Mbit line. I talked with their support for a long time and they guaranteed me (after talking with their tech) that it truly was a 100Mbit dedicated non-shared line with a 10TB bandwidth limit (so not fully unmetered). Has anyone had any experience with them with this? I know they get their servers from softlayer, but this offer seems too good to be true for the price.

Thanks again for your help everyone. :)

why does that sound too good to be true? if it was a dedicated 100mbps line un-metered usage, that would sound too good to be true.
and, you should really use the edit button if you have something else to say.

I apologize for not using the Edit button on my post there. I tend to not do that if I have a thought later as for those who are subscribed to the thread will not get another email of a new post or new information if I just edit a previous post. So I tend to just do a new post so those who want to know are properly notified. Thanks for your help.

Something else I just noticed with midphase.com is a special deal they are having for their dedicated servers. It's as follows:

BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE OFFER!

Here's how it works: For every month that you pre-pay, you'll receive another dedicated server of equal value FREE! for the same time period. So, if you prepay for 6 months, you'll receive an additional dedicated server for 6 months!

All of this just plainly sounds too good to be true, but I just feel compelled to go and try it out still. I will let you all know the results later. Thanks.

As an update, though I'm still transferring my files over, I've tested downloading a 580 MB file in several locations. On any residential connection, I max it out instantly. And from a 100Mbit dedicated server, I can get close to 11 MB/s transfer speed, which is near 88Mbps, which is great to me! I hope I can get this all of the time once my users actually start downloading. It's looking good thus far! :D

Back