• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Community feedback

The problem is where the limit would be for something like that. If they've gone belly up 2 times? 3 times? 4 times? By having a strict policy on not allowing replies to ads by hosts we avoid that kind of problem. Maybe there should be some other place on the forum to point such things out to potential clients. I'm not sure the ad threads is that place. I think it's up to clients to ask questions about how long they've been in business etc.

Edit: And if the host stated it openly what's the problem?

Should there even be a limit? If I create a business in the US, it is all public record. Why should it be different for these hosts. If a host has gone down before, shouldn't potential clients have the right to know that? I'm not saying that negative connotations should be allowed for something like that, but a pure statement of facts such as "This host previously operated as XYZ from Start Date to End Date and closed down under these circumstances"

The problem is where the limit would be for something like that. If they've gone belly up 2 times? 3 times? 4 times? By having a strict policy on not allowing replies to ads by hosts we avoid that kind of problem. Maybe there should be some other place on the forum to point such things out to potential clients. I'm not sure the ad threads is that place. I think it's up to clients to ask questions about how long they've been in business etc.

Edit: And if the host stated it openly what's the problem?

What's the balance of power between Client and Host? My project is Client-Empowering. Sure there's trouble with "trashing", but I don't know how to check for a nulled software component on a host setup etc. My project is clocking something like a 75% fail rate for applicant hosts, and I just about wore myself out digging up five quality hosts so that this year I can finally just start writing article stubs.

It's a well known part of psychology, and tangential to the one I based my project on, that trumpeting ads and tucking disclaimers away in a corner is unequal exposure. So let's just say if for example that running a host with a null script is against FWS's own rules, a new client (and yes, ALL our clients are new now, we lost most of the last generation of skilled ones) won't dig 7 forums down to find that footnote.

What about a "Report Violation" button, with like a radio dropdown of the 5 favorite things greenie hosts like to do? U-word, Nulls/Copyrights, Warez explicitly stated, your choice of two. What we're starting to all get worn down is the language tone from the "top ten reporters" vs their frustration at their sorta self-assumed albatross to keep down the chaos.

Now we're stuck in some kind of exhaustion cycle that we all have to take a breath and step back from.

Should there even be a limit? If I create a business in the US, it is all public record. Why should it be different for these hosts. If a host has gone down before, shouldn't potential clients have the right to know that? I'm not saying that negative connotations should be allowed for something like that, but a pure statement of facts such as "This host previously operated as XYZ from Start Date to End Date and closed down under these circumstances"

Sure, and I have done my bit in that direction, albeit with a little soap opera drama. But be a little careful vs Owners and Hosts, and there are a few good eggs in there. But times are a changing, and I'm not a good enough prophet for the task.

theraptor: In an ideal world yes that would be great for clients to know, but I think in reality that's not what's going to happen. For instance your pure statement by a host responding to an ad thread with "closed down under these circumstances" is not going to be easy to disinguish from a host saying something very negative there. I suggest we leave it to the potential clients to ask the questions or point out things like that. Maybe have a sticky thread encouraging hosts posting ads to mention those things and if they don't encourage clients to ask about it.

I agree that there are difficulties, but if this information isn't made available by those who have it, how will the potential clients know what questions to ask?

While most clients would obviously know something is amiss with a host who acts like a child (I'm not naming any names), what about those hosts who just up and vanish with all their clients data, only to re-appear some months later, looking perfectly legitimate, and do it all again.

What's the balance of power between Client and Host?

It's a good question and I think your feedback is interesting. What's often lost here is the client needs to educate themselves. Ask questions. Search different sources. If that task is up to competing hosts we end up with problems we'd like to avoid.

It's a good question and I think your feedback is interesting. What's often lost here is the client needs to educate themselves. Ask questions. Search different sources. If that task is up to competing hosts we end up with problems we'd like to avoid.

Maybe what's needed is some kind of FWS advisory board. Essentially a group of members on FWS picked to represent people who know about all the aspects of the business. People like TaoPheonix who are clients, people who are respected hosts, people who are designers, coders, etc. This group would exist to provide guidance and advice to both hosts and clients alike. If a host who is likely to screw clients over in the long run posts an ad, the board would post and say that clients need to think over this host carefully before going with them. If there is a new host who wants to get into the business, or who has failed several times but wants help getting on the right track, this board of volunteers could give them advice and support on the way to doing it.

I agree that there are difficulties, but if this information isn't made available by those who have it, how will the potential clients know what questions to ask?

While most clients would obviously know something is amiss with a host who acts like a child (I'm not naming any names), what about those hosts who just up and vanish with all their clients data, only to re-appear some months later, looking perfectly legitimate, and do it all again.

It's tricky, but yes if something like that happens they've done something that they would need to openly explain since they've caused problems for previous clients. I think again, it would be better if the mods deal with situations like that than competing hosts. I mean if you have any solution to this problem we'd like to hear it.

Do hosts really want competing hosts to point out previous outages, lost data and past failures every time you post an ad? I'm not really sure you'd want this? And I don't think that's how it works on other forums either.

It's tricky, but yes if something like that happens they've done something that they would need to openly explain since they've caused problems for previous clients. I think again, it would be better if the mods deal with situations like that than competing hosts. I mean if you have any solution to this problem we'd like to hear it.

Do hosts really want competing hosts to point out previous outages, lost data and past failures every time you post an ad? I'm not really sure you'd want this? And I don't think that's how it works on other forums either.

See my post above yours for a potential solution, I think it went through while you were typing that.

Also, Forums in general are dying, and FWS shows it. If things are only done like other forums, there will be only more decay. Times like these are times for change and pushing forward.

Maybe what's needed is some kind of FWS advisory board. Essentially a group of members on FWS picked to represent people who know about all the aspects of the business. People like TaoPheonix who are clients, people who are respected hosts, people who are designers, coders, etc. This group would exist to provide guidance and advice to both hosts and clients alike. If a host who is likely to screw clients over in the long run posts an ad, the board would post and say that clients need to think over this host carefully before going with them. If there is a new host who wants to get into the business, or who has failed several times but wants help getting on the right track, this board of volunteers could give them advice and support on the way to doing it.

I like your advisory board suggestion, so it might be developed in to something we can do.

It would need to be done respectfully though.

maybe you can put that in place so members dont complain about things certain hosts are doing and we can have Roger and Charles back?

With regards to clients asking questions, if they are new most wont even know which questions to ask for basic websites, let alone the intricacies of company folding. Unless I am mistaken, even if they search the forum for a specific username, posts are limited to that user so if they have changed names they are not going to get any of the previous username when a service folded.

I would like to know the difference on one aspect though. If a user has a history of having/wanting to host illegal material but people mention this when he requests hosting, this seems to be allowed for anyone to comment on. If said person now opens a hosting service and has the nulled software or allows illegal material it seems he is now immune to the feedback. Why is that?

If he allows illegal material he's not immune to getting infractions, his offer removed and a ban, no.

speaking of ban's, how about we bring back Charles and Roger. If you have a problem with them personally, then you can always take up your own advice and just use the "ignore" button ;)

Yeah, that's not the issue if you've been paying attention to what happened.

Back