• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cheap graphics card

Fuzzylogic

hey all,

i'm looking for an upgrade for my graphics card and i'm wondering whats the best preformance for near or under a AU$100. i'm just looking for something that will be enough to run half life 2 and my current geforce 4 MX isn't going to cut the grade.

but its not under $100

take a look @ msy.com.au --- cheaper than pretty much everything in the age's green guide - i think they sell the radeon 9200 sub$100

however, you're not going to get a card that'll do justice to hl2/doom3 for below $100, let me assure you =d

yeah i kinda thought that, i was more looking around that area of anyway. looks like the ati radeon 9600pro is the best bang for buck at the moment, it isn't that expensive and should come down in time for h/l 2. thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

not really. 9600proxt is a better choice, but the 9800proxt was voted best 'future proof' card - forgot the source.

nothing i've found is 'future proof' though with the talk about half-life 2 being that near limits of 'real' 3d who knows. personally with 6 months someone will find something that will be faster and again it will be time for another upgrade to cope with it.

Fuzzylogic said:
hey all,

i'm looking for an upgrade for my graphics card and i'm wondering whats the best preformance for near or under a AU$100. i'm just looking for something that will be enough to run half life 2 and my current geforce 4 MX isn't going to cut the grade.

Enough to run HL2? You're geforce4 mx will definitely run HL2 fine...on low...and on DX7.

The Radeon 9200 suggest above does not support DX9.0, so that would be a waste. You won't be able to get much for $100AUD if you want DX9.0.

The 9600Pro with 256MB are slower than the 9600Pro with 128MB. Most games don't even use all 256MB except for a select few.

Yeah i've been looking around on the net and have found actually the same answer. it should be alright. as for a card for $100 the only cards that come close are the radeon 9250 which isn't all that good or the radeon 9550 which should give decent gaming providing I lower some of the details.

Daniel said:
Enough to run HL2? You're geforce4 mx will definitely run HL2 fine...on low...and on DX7.

The Radeon 9200 suggest above does not support DX9.0, so that would be a waste. You won't be able to get much for $100AUD if you want DX9.0.
Valve has really scaled the requirements down, although graphics will look like crap on a DX7 card.

Just don't get any Radeons with "SE" in the name.

trenzterra said:
Valve has really scaled the requirements down, although graphics will look like crap on a DX7 card.

I know. The game would run fine on a P3 1ghz with 256MB SDRAM and a GeForce3.

yes the 'SE' i'm sure stands for many things including S**t edition, slouth edition or slow edition. besides being cheap i don't see why ati has so many different SE edition cards. I hope the requirements are that low, my computer a duron 1.3GHZ with 256mb DDR and a Geforce 4MX will hopely do the job. though i'd like a card that has decent profermance to enjoy the DX9 eye candy.

Fuzzylogic said:
yes the 'SE' i'm sure stands for many things including S**t edition, slouth edition or slow edition. besides being cheap i don't see why ati has so many different SE edition cards. I hope the requirements are that low, my computer a duron 1.3GHZ with 256mb DDR and a Geforce 4MX will hopely do the job. though i'd like a card that has decent profermance to enjoy the DX9 eye candy.
A 9600 should be enough like others said... Or a 9700 if you have the extra cash. That's about all the choices you have without PCI-Express.

Back