• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can't clear URL history!

Status
Not open for further replies.

is0lized

See Below
XP PRO / IE6

At first, i could clear my URL history, but certain URLS wouldn't be cleared, like 3 urls per letter.

Someone told me to install TweakUI by microsoft, so i downloaded it by download.com, told me to set it to clear urls on leave, but that didn't work..

But now i can't clear my URL cache at all...

I tried clearing temp, cookies, regedited typeurls (nothing there) cleared autocomplete, ect.. Non work..

What the heck is going on?

have you tried going to the history folder and deleting entries that way? It's in Documents And Settings/YourUserName/Local Settings/History. You can highlight an item and just press delete.

The urls might be cookie's displaying them. I am assuming your using IE. You can or want to delete your cookies manually. I don't know where they are on XP Pro since I don't have it.

I've tried clearing everything, cookies, url, ect...

And i just noticed i can clear URLs, but there are still a few leftovers..

The only reason something would be listed in drop down after url's cleared would be because of a bookmark, but they ain't bookmarked

If you cleared (deleted) the cookies and urls without restarting your computer. windows cahces some urls. So just restart your computer if you haven't done so.

just to be sure, are you talking about History (as in Today/Yesterday/1 week ago/2 weeks ago etc) or the Typed URL address bar? :confused:

Typed URL bars..

I can clear them, but a few addresses stay, sometimes alot of them stay (depending on the letter i type in)

Have you tried http://aandrc.com/editurls/ & http://www.purgeie.com/lockhist.htm ?

You also need to understand that even though the typed url list might be cleared, but as long as your normal history is there it'll still show those.
It's easy enough to show.. go to any random site and then click a link to a site you've never been to before and then type the first few letters of the domain name. You'll see it'll show up in the address bar.

(Added a link)

Last edited:
I have used purge IE..

I have both kazaa light and aim, only aim is opened... let me try it

Edit: closing aim didn't help when cleaning the url's
Edit: EditURLs didn't work

Last edited:
Originally posted by is0lized
I have used purge IE..

I have both kazaa light and aim, only aim is opened... let me try it

Edit: closing aim didn't help when cleaning the url's
Edit: EditURLs didn't work
Reboot and make sure nothing auto-starts (check the task manager to make sure)

Why is it so important anyway? Are there some sites people aren't supposed to see you've been too? :p

I wish, it is just VERY annoying...

Besides, even if i did have some weird s*** on this pc, i'm the only one that uses it and i lock it down tight..

Did you turn autocomplete off for webaddresses? It's under Tools/Options Autocomplete and then uncheck Web addresses. The history will still be there but it won't show a list once you start typing in an address anymore.
Deselect "Use inline autocomplete" under the Advanced tab as well and the annoyances should stop :)

But i like having autocomplete...
You like autocomplete but you think it's annoying at the same time :confused:
I think you just like being difficult :p

You can turn autocomplete off for web addresses (in Tools/Internet options Conent/Auto complete uncheck web addresses) - that's what shows you the dropdown box with all the url's that contain what you've typed so far
but do check "Use inline autocomplete" then (under Advanced).

This way what will happen is when you're typing an address you won't see the dropdown box anymore and if you start typing an address you've typed before it will autocomplete inline. This way it will just autocomplete typed url's and not look at anything that's in your regular history.

Is that acceptable? :confused:

No, you don't understand, no matter what i do there is still urls there...

Usally when i click clear they all go away, but now they are building up, there is something wrong with my pc and i'm trying to fix it.. I like having autocomplete but i CAN NOT get ALL the urls to be deleted, no matter WHAT i try.

I am going to call microsoft when they open, not sure if it is tomorrow or monday, i asked at a huge 80,000 member forum and they couldn't help me.

No, i am not going to format, just built this computer a month ago, and formating is not my buddy as of right now..

If microsoft says i have to format, guess i'll have to since they are the experts

If microsoft says i have to format, guess i'll have to since they are the experts
:whatthe: I wouldn't format, no matter who told me to. :devious2: I will decide when a format is needed and in 6 years I did it about three times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back