• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

can someone help me with what i should look for in a host?

Fuchsia

HI,

i want to start a site in order to put my journal on-line and also have a page or so about a therapy which i do called rebirthing. I wonder if you could help me cause all of the terms i see being used comfuse me...

I guess that basically i want lots of pages for text (with a small photo or two i guess...) and i would also like to have a guestbook and forum (ideally)

How much space do you think i'd need? ( i realize that i may need to move to a paid site at some point if i go over the space limit and when i become more established...)
What are the special features i should look for? (if you could give me the codes for them so i could recognise them when i am looking through features i would appreciate it...)
And lastly anyone have any good suggestions for hosts ? But they must NOT have advertising...

Thanks very much for your help,

:)
Fuchsia

Originally posted by Fuchsia
I guess that basically i want lots of pages for text (with a small photo or two i guess...) and i would also like to have a guestbook and forum (ideally) How much space do you think i'd need?

It's really hard to say but with just text and some photos you can have hundreds of pages in 20megs. Forum grows in time also.

What are the special features i should look for?

Look for bandwidth limits (more on bandwidth check http://www.hosthelp.com). For forum you need to be able to execute your own cgi-programs, so look for cgi. Some forums require mySQL and php but these cost more so you may be better of staying with cgi-forums. Guestbooks are usually available even if you don't get cgi access.

And lastly anyone have any good suggestions for hosts ? But they must NOT have advertising...

This is the tricky part. It's a very time consuming job to search for a reliable free host without advertising. Assuming you are from the US it's even trickier, I think. If your site would be in French and your customers in Europe I would recommend OVH.org.

In your case I would definitely pay a little. You can get nice hosting packages from a little over 30$/year. Check for example worldzonepro.com. I think it has everything you need. Personally I have never been hosted by them (or their free service that lacks options like cgi) but have read a lot of good things. There are also other hosts that do not cost much but Worldzonepro just came to my mind. Hostyard is one also (if i remember right).

Um Fuchsia,
Is your site got to do with religion? If yes, then I think that the host will delete your site. Cause I think it say on the terms religious site is not allow.

No my site hasn't got anything to do with religion. Rebirthing is a therapy which works through deep breathing to remove negative emotions.

thanks for the tip though!

Has anyone here had any experience (good or bad) with Worldzonepro? I would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again,

Fuchsia

Originally posted by Johnny
Um Fuchsia,
Is your site got to do with religion? If yes, then I think that the host will delete your site. Cause I think it say on the terms religious site is not allow.

Nothing to do with the original msg.

What host deletes religious sites?
I think one of the team members at Worldzone has a christian site... or is it like 'we do not host muslim sites'? Or has it something to do with propaganda or hate -sites? On my opinion these are quite the same...;)

Hi Top,

i wasn't quite sure why he posted the message about religious sites either! Except that it had to do with a confused responce to the reference to rebirthing - which i therefore clarified for him...

can i ask you another question? Worldzone seems like a new site to me. ( but i could be wrong - i do not have much experience with this- . Is it likely that they will close when things get too hot so to speak?

Also, i was told that i should definitely keep a back-up of my site just in case. is this relatively easy?

thanks again
Fuchsia

I'm not the best person to answer this question as I have not been hosted with them. So maybe someone else will.

You can search them using the search function of this forum (and maybe webhostingtalk.com also). Also Worldzone does have it's own support forum, you could read posts there and I think it'll give you some impression what kind of service they have.

> Also, i was told that i should definitely
> keep a back-up of my site just in case.
> is this relatively easy?

Yes it is. Some systems make it more simple. Very basic tactic would be having a copy of your site on your hard drive. You should learn to use ftp (file transfer protocol)programs if you haven't yet. There are many free ones available for example WSftp-le or CuteFtp. I'm not sure if you are familiar with these...

I have a site on WorldzonePro. The company has been around for quite a while (in web time) as a totally free provider - Worldzone.net. What's really new is the paid incarnation. You can't ever be sure if any web service is going to be around forever in the same form it is now. They're a great deal and probably a better choice than totally free space for any kind of serious site. I think it's worth a shot. Just make sure you have a copy of your site on your computer (this is always a good idea, no matter where you're hosted) and register a domain name, which doesn't have to be expensive at all. Then, if for some reason you must move your site, your address will remain the same.

Hi Top,

thanks for that, i thought after i posted and i checked out the "reviews" section and saw some good stuff about worldzone and i did indeed check out their forums and they seem pretty cool, at least as far as i looked (not very far yet...) and as far as i could tell. I am not at all familiar with ftp but it sounds like i will be soon...

Fuchsia

Psalzer,

thanks for posting, good to hear and a very good tip to register my domain name so that if i move i will keep it with me... I appreciate it.

You guys are very helpful!

cheers
Fuchsia

Re: FREE HOST

Originally posted by mry2k
Try this one

http://www.fido-net.com

Virtually unlimited space.(100MB to begin with)
yourname.fido-net.com.
Site maintenance tools.
Free web building tools.
Support Board for each site.
Search engine.

This is not really helping.

Excelland reseller and veeeery slow.
"Each community member page is required to display a banner. An advertising banner will be displayed by default on every page served by our servers. Any attempts to undermine or avoid the display of the banner is considered a violation of this agreement and the site will be subject to immediate removal. "

Fuchsia:
The reviews are of free providers I think. You should search this forums paid hosting section for Worldzonepro and others (note that Wzpro only came to my mind, there are others too). http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/search.php
It's so close to the sites own search link so that I'm always pushing wrong buttons...

Check also old posts from domain registration forum since not all hosts register you a domain (and maybe it's even better to register it somewhere else than your host...)

Originally posted by Fuchsia
Also, i was told that i should definitely keep a back-up of my site just in case. is this relatively easy?
If you're making your website off your computer, then the files stored on your HD are your backup. So, yeah... it's really easy to "make" backups. ;)

If you want a guestbook and a forum, then go look for a free web host that offers CGI and/or Perl, unless you want PHP guestbooks and forums. If you don't want to setup the guestbook and forum yourself, then you can easily find a free remotely hosted one that does it all for you, you just input your basic settings and stuff.

Good luck....

Hi Top,

quote:
This is not really helping.

I looked the site up and it didn't seem too good to me, thanks for looking out for me!

Yes, you are right, they were free reviews! But good re Worldzone nevertheless. Actually i like the name Worldzone too, it suggests connection over a global field to me and i like that. I like that we are all connected through the web, regardless of where we are in the world... I know that the web has certainly broadened my horizons - actually, i would say it has saved my life! I met my teacher on the web.

So i will check out the other pay sites too...

Why do you say it would be better to perhaps register my domain somewhere else rather than with my would be hosts?

Thanks again,

take care,
Fuchsia

[Edited by Fuchsia on 02-22-2001 at 05:18 AM]

Hi LeX,

thanks for your post. So are you saying that when i use my computer to make my web-site then it is automatically stored on my hard disk?

What are PHP forums and why would i want them as opposed to the others?

And finally, how does a remotely hosted guestbook and forum work? Would i be able to customize this to match my site aesthetically or would i be pretty much stuck with what they give me?

I am very new to this, the forum in particular will be one of the last things i tackle, but i would definitely like to have a guestbook.

Thanks for your help,

All the best,
Fuchsia

<<MOD EDIT>>
Please note that you are not allowed to promote your own site here:

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/announcement.php?forumid=2

1. Spam and referral links are not allowed. You can not promote your own website here. And you're not allowed to post a URL where you get money or some type of compensation by referring others. It is however ok to post your website URL in your profile and/or in your signature.
<</MOD EDIT>>

[Edited by Chicken on 02-22-2001 at 12:02 PM]

Back