• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can I host blog and forum with same domain?

yashved

I also have a basic query which I am not sure if this is the place for that, but if I purchase a domain name, can I host a blog as well as forum on it. I mean for e.g: if I register a domain say abc.com, can I redirect my blog to abc.com and at the same time host a forum with a free webhost co and redirect it to abc.com/forum?

Thanks in Advance!

yes, why not? just install blog on the root of the folder and forum in the "forum" folder. It's that simple. If you use installatron (like what my host, sitefrost.com uses), installing those 2 things can be done in less than 3 minutes.

If you like, you can also have forum.abc.com (for example).

Last edited:
You can create a blog on the domain and have a forum in a separate folder called forum. Or you can create a site on the forum and have both blog and forum in separate folders. No need for redirections :)

But when I would register a domain, say with GoDaddy.com (by the way, can you suggest some good registrars?), and since I have a blog at Blogger.com and a forum at 110mb.com or any other web host, how do I reconcile the two and point them both towards my main domain, i.e. for e.g: I want abc.com to display my blog and abc.com/forum to display my forum....

Get the domain hosted at ONE host only, if you start trying to redirect it can get messy :wink2: so settle on one of the hosts (the one with the best features for you, not necessarily loads of space, etc.)

I use, and always will use namecheap.com to register domain names, v cheap and nice fully featured but still easy to use control panel. They do cheap hosting too; as mentioned you should avoid using redirects, most free hosts allow you to host a domain, the logical choice would be to have the blog installed in the root of your hosting and a forum at /forum, no need for two hosting accounts ...

I use 1and1.com to register my domains, so far I have 3 with them. The only bad thing is that support takes over a day, but is pretty good.

But when I would register a domain, say with GoDaddy.com (by the way, can you suggest some good registrars?), and since I have a blog at Blogger.com and a forum at 110mb.com or any other web host, how do I reconcile the two and point them both towards my main domain, i.e. for e.g: I want abc.com to display my blog and abc.com/forum to display my forum....

I do that for one of my domains (domain.com on one host and forum.domain.com on a different host). I use eNom and you can use their DNS servers and change the host records for the subdomains to point to different servers.

Example:
Host Name - Record Type - Address
www - A (Address) - blog host's server IP address here
@ (none) - A (Address) - blog host's server IP address here
* (all others) - A (Address) - blog host's server IP address here
forum - A (Address) - forum host's server IP address here (make sure that when you sign-up for your forum host you use "forum.domain.com" for the domain)

Or if you just want a redirect:
Host Name - Record Type - Address
www - URL Redirect/URL Frame - blog URL here
@ (none) - URL Redirect/URL Frame - blog URL here
* (all others) - URL Redirect/URL Frame - blog URL here
forum - URL Redirect/URL Frame - forum URL here

You can get an eNom retail account with 8.88/yr pricing from namepros.

Well, I have a blog at Blogger.com and now I want to extend a forum section for that blog, but still I do not want to leave Blog Software at Blogger.com, i.e. I do not want to switch over to other blog software as I am quite comfortable with Blogger.com) Hence now I want to purchase a domain and have blog on the main page and forum as a either a subdomain or as 'domain.com/forum'. So, what I am try to figure out is that once I will redirect my Blog at Blogger.com to my main domain. Can I at the same time, configure the DNS of my web host (on which forum is to be hosted) to point at either forum.domain.com or domain.com/forum......

(Hope I am clear enough in my query!)

doiz was that necessary, the persons already confused about how to do it.

Jan giving techy advice - I'm impressed :D be honoured yashved :wink2:

doiz was that necessary, the persons already confused about how to do it.
I'm sorry, I suck at explaining~

I do not want to switch over to other blog software as I am quite comfortable with Blogger.com. What I am try to figure out is that once I will redirect my Blog at Blogger.com to my main domain, can I at the same time, configure the DNS of my web host (on which forum is to be hosted) to point at either forum.domain.com or domain.com/forum
Yes, you can. Just edit your domain's host records. I hope that was clearer... >.<

Or it might be easier to not mess with the DNS at all, just leave it alone. When you do the redirect for your blog, just use .htaccess or javascript or header() in the main directory, and just install your forum under the forum subfolder. =P

Last edited:
the thing is, you have your blog and forums at 2 completely different hosts. Not only that, but it sounds like you have mninimal control of the sites where you blog and have the forum.

Best soloution IMO would be this.

1 Buy domain.
add 2x subdomains blog.domain.com and forum.domain.com
redirect those subdomains to the appropriate place and set it to display in frame.

Then if you want, you can also get a free host and just have an Index.html there with a small opening page and links to you subdomains, and set that to yourdomain.com

Editing DNS records, I believe, would be the best option in this case. You just need a domain name with DNS control and you are set to go. If you need any help with the editing of DNS zone records, feel free to ask. I am sure any member would most gladly help you out.

Editing DNS records, I believe, would be the best option in this case. You just need a domain name with DNS control and you are set to go. If you need any help with the editing of DNS zone records, feel free to ask. I am sure any member would most gladly help you out.

I am planning to buy a domain from name.com. Do they give me full DNS Control?
If they do, then I think that buying that and editing DNS records seems to be the best option.....

I am planning to buy a domain from name.com. Do they give me full DNS Control?
If they do, then I think that buying that and editing DNS records seems to be the best option.....
From what I can see on their site, they do provide full DNS control.

Can you just help me with the registration mate?

Plz tell me if I can use a debit card to purchase domain as there are only two options "Use Paypal" and "Use Credit Card"....

Last edited:
If your debit card is a "visa" then you should be fine. Most debit cards work as a credit card, provided you have the funds of course.

Back