• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can I create a TLD

eggman

Hello again,

Is it actually possible to create a top level domain thingy.
I've seen some very strange domain extensions, and I am just curious.

Thanks,
Dave

You can create one, but the registries only recognise ones supported by ICANN, so for someone to access yours they would have to install a special plug-in or some such. Several companies have done this including New.net, but it's not very popular.

Well, did new.net need to have it's new extensions "OK'd", or did they just make em. Like, could anyone make a TLD, as long as they gave out a plugin to point the new TLD nameservers?

OK
If you run your own name servers you could create a domain like:

yoursite.nuts

However, this would not be on the Internet root servers so for someone to be able to view your site using that extension they would need to go into the network settings in Windows and add your name servers to the list of those it ised to resolve domain names.

Its very straightforward and great fun if you want to have a private site between friends.

Gordon

Well
You need two unique IP addresses on computers permanently connected to the Internet.

We have rack mounted servers in a Data center for this purpose.
If it was just for fun you could use one name server and run it off a cable modem.

Here is a windows based DNS server you can download:
http://www.jhsoft.com/

New.net: They don't do it this way.
They actually issue subdomains and then use a special plug in to remove the end bit from the customers browser address bar.

If you bought gordons.shop from them your real address would be gordons.shop.new.net but with the plug in you could go straight to gordons.shop.

Gordon

Well, did new.net need to have it's new extensions "OK'd", or did they just make em. Like, could anyone make a TLD, as long as they gave out a plugin to point the new TLD nameservers?

No, they did not get this OK'd by anyone, that is their main USP.

Back