• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Calls to database

zerocool786

I have a host that make 50 max # of calls to database. I have a site that has alot of queries, that retrieve data from my database. Is that good enough for shared hosting. can someone explain what that means?

You'll need to explain a bit more, this could be 50 persistant connections, which you're unlikely to use. It could also mean 50 regular connections, which if you have a script with lots of queries AND a high traffic load may cause issues.

This sounds pretty typical for shared hosting.

Whats the script?

I have a host that make 50 max # of calls to database. I have a site that has alot of queries, that retrieve data from my database. Is that good enough for shared hosting. can someone explain what that means?
Thank must be one of the presales question to the web hosting provider you are looking at. This number can be diferent on the different web hosting providers.

Whats the script?

I made custom php page on my phpbb forum. It has 20 queries. I was talking to http://www.webhostingpad.com/ host sales Rep. They said its very rare that 50 connections would in use at the same time. So to my understanding, is this that if my php page is loaded by max of 50 users AT THE SAME TIME, then it may be a problem. But what If I have 50 users on my site browsing, and all the pages have 2 or 3 queries, Would that make an issue then, because they are making calls to database, but at different times (maybe only 10 secounds difference)

thanks

50 current active users on a forum which is on a shared hosting provider will probably get you in trouble. Thats a lot of cpu and RAM usage between those active and browsing people. If you get that many constantly, you should definitely consider moving to a VPS

50 concurrent connections for a shared hosting is pretty good. All your 20 queries in one page is going to be over just 1 connection(unless you make a new connection for each query, which is pooor scripting). Even 50 users online wont make 50 simultaneous connection. 50 connections are going to be enough for atleast 200-250 users online, which is more than what you can expect to support on a shared hosting.

My advice, the limit is pretty high - some hosts limit at 10 - and shouldnt be an issue in selecting the host you are looking at.

THis issue i heard before with linux hosting, some host are limiting on mysql conn. So better go for relaible host and also check th fetures before purchase. Better make mail to support or sales staff before purchase the plan. may some plan give unlimited

Id recommend looking for an clustered hosting or even cloud hosting. There are things called utility hosting as well.. These solutions would give you the best stability.

Companies such as mediatemple.net uptimehost.com are examples of this.. I had an url for a hosting company with a discount, im gonna try and find it for you.

Back