• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Call to Admins

TaoPhoenix

NLC
By now this is past little blips, all the way up to the board level. Peo & Jan, do you have any advice for the hosts here? We have in effect a full scale Old Mafia assault on two hosts now. To me, that's a warning bell for every host on the board.

Please report any abuse you find (click the warning triangle). And we will look into it.

How can you prove that somebody here is responsible for a DDoS attack? Better yet, how can the staff members on this forum punish members accordingly?

Please report any abuse you find (click the warning triangle). And we will look into it.

Hi Peo. Take a look at my thread, starting with this page.
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2224602&page=43

There seem to be some non-random attack events going on with Seraphim and Lost Signal/Seanie. Semi-coincidentally Seraphim posted some "security research" info, and then very quickly got attacked. Lost Signal is, owner-wise, an unrelated host, except he seems to be inheriting further attacks to him.

I have no idea how to unravel this, but on a host full of web hosts, I can't believe this is a Grade A attack, so someone here has to have the skills to backtrack this.

How can you prove that somebody here is responsible for a DDoS attack? Better yet, how can the staff members on this forum punish members accordingly?

This can be rephrased as "how many times after an announcement here that further attacks are received are needed before it becomes Non-Random?" Unfortunately your theoretical question is on the wrong side of the risk-grid, such that presuming this is indeed an FWS -amplified event, the proof to convince you still damages them.

My current opinion is that something is going on, but the motive is still quite unclear. If it is indeed FWS amplified, then the danger is restated as "___ hosts are afraid of conducting their business here". That escalates real fast to a threat to the admin level itself.

Good scare maybe, but it can't be world class enough that the jerk can hide forever in this crowd.

Not only is Seraphim and Lost Signal being attacked, one of my sites was attacked with a simular sized attack and schmarvin said he was attacked ( http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2237717 ).

(Elsewhere, Seanie wrote in part)
...immediately after I let you know that my side was up, they attacked one of my shared hosting boxes I'm not sure I can participate on this thread.

Peo, I'd phrase the question as whether these attacks are "statistically random" or whether the attacker is using info from the board. I haven't called it a conspiracy yet as that would require multiple concerted participants.

You guys ever come to think that maybe you're all hosted in the same datacenter and they're just doing a piss poor job of deflecting this thing? Maybe not. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back