• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

buying a new computer (need advice)

jason

ok, its almost been 3 years and i can't put it off anymore. its a pain in the --- to transfer everything but this thing loads all the time and just doesn't cut it anymore.

so here are my questions:
i run windows 2000 right now, its been very good to me. much better than 98 was. should i stick with 2000 or go for the XP when i get this new computer?

the computer have now is AMD. its been good to me, should i keep the AMD or do pentiums have something over them?

i only have 40 gig hard drive, i want a lot more space but the larger the drive is there a bigger chance that it will crash sometime in the future?

what is a good hard drive brand? i alwahys hear of ppls drives crashing and that is one thing i really want to avoid.

is plextor still one of the best for cd-r drives? my old one has lasted me 5 years and is still going strong.

does IBM make quality computers? i was thinkiing of maybe just ordering one of those.

anything else i should look out for when buying a computer?

thanks

XP, AMD, No, Seagate/Maxtor,Any CD-R drive will do,Not really,Scams.

well i have a samsung DVD Burner and 2 samsung HDD's 1 is a sata they arnt over priced and i have never had any problems with them

thanks for the replies guys, i think i have a good idea of what to get now. tho i still have a couple questions

what is a good motherboard?
what is a good lcd monitor?
thanks again

btw, i don't know anyone personally who can put this together for me. do you think if i told a computer store what i wanted they would put it together for me?

don't forget to buy a good mouse for games :D, logitech 510mx will do the job

Windows 2000 is great to go with but you've got the whole drivers issue with it, while Xp is great for those of us who can't be bothered constantly checking to see if we've got the latest drivers and such but the I find the cpu usage is slightly higher with XP

AMD all the way, I won't get into a debate about which of the two are better and why, but I will tell you this from experience, AMD has give me about 10% of the problems I've seen with the Pents.

Get that big --- HHD, you'll be happier in the long run and as for Drivers, I've always been fond of the WDs (Western Digitals)

My current & previous burners have all been pioneer but get other people's advice on this one as well.

If your looking for an everyday type of PC, then the N-Force2 is pretty good for motherboards, but if you want something more then you'll have to look at your budget to make sure you can get the quality you want.

The phillips LCD 15" is quite a good buy, it's quite cheap and reliable, you can pick one up 2nd hand quite cheap and just make sure the factory warranty is still valid.

The MX10 is a good choice of mouse, and if you want superior mouse pad movement, the Icemat Mk2, smooth. Hope that helps a little.

does IBM make quality computers? i was thinkiing of maybe just ordering one of those.
Since all you're questions have been answered I'll just say yes, IBM make good computers. Unfortunatly they sold their PC buisness to a Asian computer manufactor Lenova, this week.

go to http://www.alienware.com/ if you want a really gd computer, in additon, go with the AMD Atholon 64 FX-55 4000+ it runs at 4GHZ, but that is alot cheaper and easier than Intel, however when we come to the harddisks i have to say get a RAID-0 and make sure you have atleast 1GB of DDR SDRAM and it should opperate at 400MHz and then your pretty much set, and for a monitor i sugest a 19" LCD with a screen protector, and for sound i would go with a Bose system

Last edited:
actualy they arent they make the fastest computers in the world and they have more return customers than dell, HP, and gateway combined so i dont think they are that big of a rip off then...
in truth all computer manufactures are cause its alot cheaper if you build your own but im betting you cant do that

AlienWare is a ripoff.

If you want to make the fastest computer in the world, Buy it.

Alienware is like ipod metrosexual appeal.

Alienware is good - if you don't mind paying a shitload - but its still far above ipod metrosexual appeal.

ipod metrosecual appeal the to epitome of the consumer ----- being tricked into buying stuff because everyone else does it (which is why i didn't get one in the end :p)

Hey if you like paying out the --- for fancy cases and custom fan grills go right ahead!

You can build faster computers for much less.

Alienware is a big ripoff.

Nothing wrong with a nice case and fan grills - difference is the $1000 you pay for the alienware one and $100 i did for mine

Hey Jason what's your PC's primary purpose gonna be anyway? Business Work? Gaming? All round personal computer craziness?

ash-m6.net said:
Hey Jason what's your PC's primary purpose gonna be anyway? Business Work? Gaming? All round personal computer craziness?
mostly business, downloading stuff, websurfing and messenger chatting. i don't use my pc to play games but i do often have 10-20 windows open at a time using various applications and lots of browser windows.

Back