• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bulletin Board

Which Bulletin Board is leader?

• Ikonboard

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Burning Board

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • PhpBB

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • OpenBB

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • XMB Forum

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Others

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Seeing as this has been posted about 10 000 times before, I'm going to assume you're trying to get your post count up

Originally posted by Blank Verse
Seeing as this has been posted about 10 000 times before, I'm going to assume you're trying to get your post count up
Actually I'm preparing to setup either one of these boards but it really is a difficult choice. So many choices to coose from. Honestly, I didn't do it for post counts. ;)

Originally posted by GRiN
Why do people prefer phpBB over other boards? I don't like it at all... :mad:
i agree phpbb is a very ugly board! it doesn't even have half as much features as ikonboard... though ikonboard is slow!

Originally posted by therock

i agree phpbb is a very ugly board! it doesn't even have half as much features as ikonboard... though ikonboard is slow!

phpBBPlus does, and I think people like phpBB because it's free, it's been around for a long time so it has less bugs, its language packs and hacks, and the fact that is uses SQL over flatfile databases rather than IkonBoard, and uses PHP, which runs a bit faster than Perl and makes less of a server load.

Originally posted by Hayama-kun

phpBBPlus does, and I think people like phpBB because it's free, it's been around for a long time so it has less bugs, its language packs and hacks, and the fact that is uses SQL over flatfile databases rather than IkonBoard, and uses PHP, which runs a bit faster than Perl and makes less of a server load.
Ikonboard has MySQL and PostrgeSQL support along with their DBM db!
[add] but it is only in their beta versions [/add]

Originally posted by therock

Ikonboard has MySQL and PostrgeSQL support along with their DBM db!
I guess that's true too, but they're using Perl. If there's a lot of members, expect SLOOOW results.

Originally posted by Hayama-kun

I guess that's true too, but they're using Perl. If there's a lot of members, expect SLOOOW results.
quite true...
if FWP was using ib then we would have to wait a bit in between pages, since they are using a PHP board (vbullletin), the forums are faster, very good point Hayama-kun ;)

That's not really true. Under normal stress (even high stress, to some degree), you're not going to see a perceptible difference between efficiently written Perl and efficiently written PHP. The only thing PHP has going for it that Perl doesn't is that Perl has to open and close its interpreter each time a script is run, whereas PHP is essentially always running, but the time it takes to do that is negligible. What speed normally comes down to is how bloated the script is, not what it's written in.

The same goes somewhat for databases. A flat file database can be just as fast as SQL one depending on how it's setup and how the script is managing those files. There's nothing inherent in SQL that makes it fast. Why flat file script tend to be slower is because often they aren't handled wisely by the script and can become insanely large, which means it takes the script several moments to scan through them and find what it's looking for. But, it doesn't have to be that way. A well-written script wont let a file get too large to handle in a timely fashion. SQL is less apt to be slow because you don't run into the same problems of file management, but you still can fall into the trap of just dumping the entire table into an array and let the script spend eons running through it. It all boils down to how efficient the script is, not how it stores data.

That said, IkonBoard may very well be slower than phpBB, I don't know, I've never personally compared them, but even if it is that doesn't reflect on all Perl and PHP scripts and all flat file and SQL databases.

phpBB + phpBBMOD (or phpBBplus) = good enough

although i'm using vbulletin, i also testing phpbb2 .. ikonboard
blahblahblah .. ikonboard3 and phpbb2 i think too big in size ...
i found dpBB while browsing sourceforge .. i dont know but its
look like phpBB but alot less size :) (it use mysql too).

and all version of ikonboard now is in BETA!

Back