• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Building A Control Panel

SitePenguin Ltd

Hello,

I've decided I'm going to build my own control panel, however I need some help getting started. I'm unsure how to make the server give/receive the correct files from each domain. As some of you may know a control panel puts each users files into a folder like this:

/users/yourdomain.com/public_html

I'm just unsure how to have the server point to those files like this:

User requests yoursite.com -> server points them to: /users/yoursite.com/public_html/index.html

Any ideas?

I guess he's making a direct admin like control panel to not only save on costs of buying it but also as an alternative source of income .
I expect it to be like the real direct admin control panel or something close :)

Wish i had such skills. I'm not good enough for such high level development such as control panels yet :(

He hit the nail on the head. Obviously I'm not cloning Direct Admin, jsut building similar features into my own web hosting control panel.

Well it seems I ca use php to edit a virtual host file and produce the desired outcome, sorry for waisting posting space... LOL

PHP would be a bad choice, the only thing you are guaranteed to get on a linux OS is perl, and perl is a more logical choice to use anyway since most of the work to be done revolves around file and directory editing.

Well I'm not going to bother to learn Perl just to write a control panel. Granted I may get someone to help me later on in that department.

Well i said it was 'like' direct admin ;)
So how is it going penguin ?
Any success yet . I'd love to learn how you managed to get it working , but , only if you would like to tell me...

Written a control panel before, it was just a layered one (you installed it into another control panel like cpanel) so its not that hard lol... Took about 2 months when i didn't know what i was doing. At this point I've got alot of it figured out the installation script was the hard part.

The control panel is currently written in PHP and contains a simple file manager, edit file feature, login system and admin list accounts features. (Adding features as I have time)... The installation script is a .sh file that uninstalls all versions of php, mysql and apache then installs a custom version of each programmed to work together. After installing all 3 of those it downloads the latest version of my control script from the server and sets it up in the correct directories... Pretty simple at the moment but it is getting there.

The install script currently runs on CentOS, Redhat and Debian.

Back