• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Boston.com running new "Shoshkeles" ad format.

Matt

Greetings,

Boston.com has run, and explains in their media kit, their use of a new ad format, which appears as an in-page popup(not a separate window, like popups/popunders), and mixes Flash animation, with audio and interactive elements.

The media kit page explaining these new campaigns is here:
http://www.boston.com/mediakit/attshosh.shtml

We're beginning to see an influx of new, unique advertising. This ad format appears to have quite a number of similarities to Salon.com's Intermediary(a full-page ad between one page and another).

We're sure to see more and more of this as we head into 2002. Hopefully, the Ad Networks won't be too far behind.

Farewell,

Thankyou for the link Matt,

This is a very nice development, and I wouldn't find it as intrusive as some other formats. Although if it were to be overused, I might find it a little bit too annoying.

I look forward to hearing all your opinions about this new format, would you put it on your website?

As a surfer i don't like it at all. As a webmaster however, i find it appealing... It is annoying, however it is rather short. As long as there would be only one of these per visit (or day, either one) it's very bearable. Of course, i have no idea what anyone on 56k would say about it...

I'd say it has a very good chance of getting thru if it's getting popup rates (or better). Of course the question is if it's going to be allowed (there's no way to close it). And like Supermoo said, it's likely to be overused.

On a sidenote, it's rather scary what people can do to your browser nowadays...

and oh, they should name it something easier. they're gonna have a hard time promoting something called 'shoskeles'.

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
and oh, they should name it something easier. they're gonna have a hard time promoting something called 'shoskeles'.
I agree, how on earth do you pronounce that?

That is a very clever ad format and I would like to see some ad companies giving it a trial run sometime soon, maybe as an extra sideline to their regular format/s.

JAN GOT A DUCKY!!!

I think that type of ad could be the next big thing in online advertising. I agree it has a weird name.

Any ad type can become annoying with over-use. Take the popup for example. However, the surfers learn to live with it, and the webmasters make $$.

Originally posted by NC_TOM
JAN GOT A DUCKY!!!

Congratulations Jan! A true accomplishment! :)

Now back to something resembling the topic: What do you think a good name for these ads would be?

DistractorAds
Intestinial Ads;)
InterContextual Ads
Overlay Ads
TopLayer Ads

As you can see, I'm not getting very far, what names do you think are appropriate?

Originally posted by }:8) Supermoo
Intestinial Ads
That could give you the 'ahem'?

Overlay and top layer sound like scumware
:rolleyes:

Shoskeles is starting to sound better if we could pronounce it ;)

I am sure that some advertisers (Robert? Chet?) could come up with something clever.

Some of you may be interested to know that Shoshkeles were actually declared the 'next big thing' way back in April, and gained a great deal of attention following deals with Lycos and others then (which were quickly followed by Yahoo!'s first non-Shoshkele 'takeover' ad):
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8867&highlight=united+virtualities

They do represent a novel technology, but the company behind them is very likely to be approached by Unicast with a cease and decist letter shortly as a result of their crack-down on supposed patent infringers in the space.

It's a pity, but L-Recs and 'Superstitial' may be all we're left with in terms of semi-intrusive rich media spaces soon...until the next, next big thing, that is. ;)

Originally posted by NC_TOM
JAN GOT A DUCKY!!!

I think that type of ad could be the next big thing in online advertising. I agree it has a weird name.

Any ad type can become annoying with over-use. Take the popup for example. However, the surfers learn to live with it, and the webmasters make $$.
regular banners aren't annoying... except for those that have a changing bright color... I find skyscrapers particularly non-intrusive... Of course if you have 5 skyscrapers next to each other... well, i don't think any company allows even 2 skyscrapers per page...

also, how about 'innies' or CPI (cost per innie)

Back