• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

bigmailbox

Well, IMHO, they're quite a bit more reliable than everyone.net's service; however, I think that everyone.net has a better enviorment for users.

Re: CNAME

Originally posted by dnsd
But they promise CNAME which every1 doesn't

CNAMEs are not really that important. I just redirect my mail page using a frame with the address http://mail.mydomainhere.com

I prefer everyone.net because:

1. Everyone.net shares banner space 50/50. Bigmailbox is 20/80 (20% you, 80% them :( )

2. Everyone.net gives 6MB storage to each user, bigmailbox gives 4 MB.

3. Everyone.net gives your users the option to recieve or not recieve special offers (spam) from them. Bigmailbox, last time I check, does not give this option, spams you whether you like it or not (I think it is 3 emails a week, but I'm not sure).

Well bigmailbox has been good to me.
I been with them for several months now.
I've only noticed them down once.
They have never spamed me. (I think?)(maybe a couple of times).
Although, for some reason the past couple of weeks they have had a popup when you first log in. But It hasn't been a nusance yet.
Overall, they are excellent in customization, reliability, and quality. Thumbs up. :)

Can't say I've tried bigmailbox, but I have no complaints with everyone.net . 6MB instead of 4, 50% of banners instead of 20%.

I have never used BigMailBox, I use everyone.net
and have never had a problem with them so far.. I had
heard bigmailbox's overall-control was not as easy
to use, but could not say for sure myself.

I've been using bigmailbox for about a year and so many months. I tried everyone.net after bigmailbox started the popups way back in December of 99 I think, but just couldn't get to liking them. The service at everyone seemed a little slow, unreliable (I sent myself a few emails and never got them :eek:) and at that time they had many outages due to 'maintenance'. I don't know if they are any better now, guess I should try them again just to see. :)

Bigmailbox stopped the popups for a while and just recently started again. I hope they will stop again, but not so sure as I emailed them about it and got the response that it is needed to keep them alive. Fair enough, we want them to keep breathing. Their support team has always been very helpful too.. which is also why I stay. BUT, they did close their forums when they thought we were ganging up on them about the pop-ups.. which was a bad business move IMHO.

The spam isn't 3 emails a week, if it were that I would not be using them any longer. It is once a month and the spam is based on the preferences you choose. Why they don't consider it spam though is because you agree to getting those emails by signing up or continueing use of the service...

Also, if you have ICQ notify you of emails like I do, if it is the bigmailbox spam it reads notify@bulkmail.bigmailbox.com as the sender.... which is also kind of nice because I usually rush to my inbox for anything important.. if I see it is the bulkmail junk I can be at ease and know there's no need to check on it ASAP. Okay, so that isn't that great of an added feature.. but anyway :p I'm done ranting about this...

Has anyone tried http://www.outblaze.net? I was always curious about them but never did fax them the needed information. ;)

--
I'm not even sure if it is .net or .com. I visited the site just now and found it hard to find the info on the free service I knew of (although I think there was some kind of requirement of site traffic required for it too). Any other free places like bigmailbox or everyone.net??

[Edited by AnneX on 01-15-2001 at 03:03 AM]

MX records for Everyone.net

I signed up with Everyone.net a while ago, because I want to offer free e-mail at a domain I recently purchased. Everything was going fine until I learned that I had to "update my MX records" for my domain. Or something like that. I tried following Everyone.net's instructions, but I was told I was not allowed to do this. I KNOW I have my password right, and have e-mailed Joker.com (the place I bought my domain) for help several times, but they won't respond. Now, I don't even know what MX records ARE, but it seems crazy to me that I'm not allowed to do whatever I want with my own domain. Does BigMailBox require you do modify MX records? Thanks.

- Ty

Re: MX records for Everyone.net

Originally posted by Ty
I signed up with Everyone.net a while ago, because I want to offer free e-mail at a domain I recently purchased. Everything was going fine until I learned that I had to "update my MX records" for my domain. Or something like that. I tried following Everyone.net's instructions, but I was told I was not allowed to do this. I KNOW I have my password right, and have e-mailed Joker.com (the place I bought my domain) for help several times, but they won't respond. Now, I don't even know what MX records ARE, but it seems crazy to me that I'm not allowed to do whatever I want with my own domain. Does BigMailBox require you do modify MX records? Thanks.

- Ty

If you want a fully branded email (ex. yourname@yourdomain.com), you will have to set MX records no matter if you choose everyone.net or bigmailbox.com. You will have to email your registar to update the MX records if they don't provide a control panel to update it yourself.

You are missing the middle step. Unless Joker provides DNS services, this is what you need. When you enter ns1.something.com and ns2.something.com *that* is to point your domain to nameservers which then direct the URL and your mail to the server.

Chicken, I've already specified nameservers, if that's what you mean. Does that have something to do with the MX Records? I dunno, I'm pretty confused about now. :/

- Ty

Back