• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best *free* control panel

h0ster

Hi, I have a spare vps that i'd like to use for personal projects. Whats the best free control panel, please dont say webmin, not for me ;) Thanks.

Last edited:
There is a lite version of CubePanel with a 30 domain license for free. But you need a decent amount of memory. It tends to slow things down a bit without sufficient memory.

They support Fedora core 3 and 5, Red Hat enterprise 3 and 4, Red Hat 3 and 4 clone distributions.

I had it installed on a small vps with 128mb memory, very slow. So I would suggest at least 256mb of memory as a bare minimum, 512mb for optimal performance. Plus the control panel is a bit tricky and won't let users choose their ftp and ssh login details. It gives you a random username for ftp and ssh.

ServerCP has a free version thats very good. But the features are limited when compared to the full version. Still I would perfer it to other free panels out there.

I think you can check out webmin also, you might want to take a look on sourceforge for some new control panels that are free.

Well, I dont know which is *the best* free control panel, but I know which the worst - VHCS in any version - dont even try do install it - our clients lost many money becouse they decided to use VHCS on their servers.

Yea i would suggest staying away form VHCS unless you have some sort of server management skill... VHCS need to fix a lot of holes in the software.

I say VHCS very powerful panel, then comes webmin..but I guess you don't wanna' hear that one.

zPanel is another alternative and also layeredpanel is one too.

Back