• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best Forums

uglykid

What's the best forum, that is kind of like V-Bulletin, but requires no Database, and stores them on text files?

ex: have admin, members page, search, usercp, email, pm, etc.(or close)

(and a cool layout like vbulletin would be nice)

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think if you want one without a database, your best bet is to get a remotely hosted forum. I say this because I have done searches for non database forums before, and they really really suck. You won't get barely any of the features you want. Or you could get a CGI-based board, but those are resource hogs, a lot of servers don't even allow them anymore.

That's what I mean though. CGI boards don't need the database, but they take up so many resources, they aren't worth it.

so you have no choice, cgi or database.. are you using free hosting? that you don't have a database?

You cannot have a forum without a "database". :rolleyes:
www.invisionboard.com is developing a flatboard that uses a text file as database. It may be ready later this year. Good only for small forums because text files use way more server resources than mysql and are really slow if they get too big.

one advice if you going ot use database. dont use phpbb! i know this board that uses them and half of the time I get "critical error". cause they have to many people on that forum.

Originally posted by Johnny
one advice if you going ot use database. dont use phpbb! i know this board that uses them and half of the time I get "critical error". cause they have to many people on that forum.

it's not the board (phpbb) it's the server limit.

Anyways, I found one at http://edge-programming.com/eboard/

They have pms, emails, members page, etc. and they have a cool layout too!

UBB is on cgi and i dont think they use database

wrong, in fact, it requires mysql, and is not even close to cheap either.

YaBB is free, and requires only cgi. also has an extensive mod availability base, some very fresh looks for it. also some better layouts.

YaBB SE is better, but requires mysql, and is also free. next to no mods though.

Back