• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

becoming an ISP?

alley

Social Nutwork
NLC
How does one go about becoming an ISP?

I would like to offer free dial-up internet to my local community if possible.
I know it probably costs a a fortune right?

Just curious how this all works.

I used to have a dial up 'white lable' number, possibly still being used.

If you want to go full blown alley then dig deep.

Freebie numbers cost someone, so be wary about offering.

LOL, its very VERY simple to be a ISP,
there are different levels, if you want to be like a dial-up isp you can be too,
but if its for your local community, and you have a car and some time you can do it within days.

Heres some steps:
Get some wifi access points
step them up across the city
setup accounts to charge etc.

http://wifi.google.com/ is a great example to follow except charge the accounts for using it, and be sure to tell your county executive

but to gain everyone's trust and a good customer base be sure to offer it free first

LOL, its very VERY simple to be a ISP,
there are different levels, if you want to be like a dial-up isp you can be too,
but if its for your local community, and you have a car and some time you can do it within days.

Heres some steps:
Get some wifi access points
step them up across the city
setup accounts to charge etc.

http://wifi.google.com/ is a great example to follow except charge the accounts for using it, and be sure to tell your county executive

but to gain everyone's trust and a good customer base be sure to offer it free first

Please get a life, your talking nonesense.

Please get a life, your talking nonesense.

Hey sorry, i was in such a rush, but my points are quite possible.

If you have the budget, you can start up like that, or you can do it by first purchasing a facility and connect fibers to top networks and get it to sync data, etc. alot of planning and atleast a small amount of people should be joined to make it a success.

However if your starting it on your own, good luck and we hope to hear from you alley, i'm interested :)

There are many ways to do it...

As mentioned you can resell the dialup service from some other company or you could go the much more expensive route.

Buy the modem banks on a 1:8 ratio of customers and add the phone lines for the amount of users. Then all you need is a radius server and DNS. With this route you would need at least a frac T1 and an /24 IP Block.

I'd recommend just reselling or...you buying at a reseller rate and giving it away free. :)

Well what MicGoogle said about wifi could work, but you'd have to have a very big arial, very secure connections and filters.. plus a really fast internet connection. You'd have to trust your neighbours too.

No it couldn't, it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to get planning permission to erect such antenni, it's not a "simple" or do it in a day process, google are a multi-national, multi billion dollar, and very successful company, not some guy with a van ....

You can actually get what is called a vISP (ViSP)

This stands for, Virtual Internet Service Provider.

You basically re brand and sell other ISP's plans and packages which you pay for at wholesale rate.

Hope that helped :)

About the wireless,

it's not that hard. you can get 12' parabolics that you can take care of yourself.

A demo for Dfcon or something sustained a 110mile wireless link. They used 12' parabolic dishes with line-of-sight.

They used 12' parabolic dishes with line-of-sight.

I was just about to say - your key problem. I would say it would take at least 2 weeks to get a wireless network going in your areas if you have extensive knowledge and contacts. This would include troubleshooting and installations, however it is not feasible for an entire local community as the base station would cost quite a penny!

If you're in a very building-dense / hilly area don't even think about it in my opinion - go for the reseller dial up option.

No it couldn't, it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to get planning permission to erect such antenni, it's not a "simple" or do it in a day process, google are a multi-national, multi billion dollar, and very successful company, not some guy with a van ....

duh, isn't this the topic for "becoming an ISP?" what you plan to start off with a small few $100? You got something big coming you way, need some budget before throwing a hook into something you can't catch.

No offense but in the USA, a 56k dialup connection?

People are on Broadband now.

I'd understand if you supply it into a LEDC - but the USA?

No offense but in the USA, a 56k dialup connection?

People are on Broadband now.

I'd understand if you supply it into a LEDC - but the USA?

hmm I'm not 100% sure but i don't think you reside in the US to well enough to know there are still many dialup connections and that people use them..

hint hint: AOL

lmao

and to backup that up, it seems Netzero is still in business? Dialup will be around as long as people who need the basics but do not want to be sitting in front of the computer 4+ hours, but only use the internet to surf important info.

Though i do agree broadband is now being used by many people, doesn't mean dial is out

oh by the way alley, i think that dialup usa site seems a bit suspicious, i'm not sure but usually sites that offer "turnkey- one click reseller instant money wholesale" is usually scams but then again if their "Corporate News" section is correct, they might be legit.

http://www.dialupusa.net/news.html -- seems like they're signing big deals with AT&T etc., probably again indicating you need to be some sort of company is with some sort of good money and good customer base to be offering their service, but try to sign up and good luck

Last edited:
Back