• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Banning Someone From a Website?

Lise

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you could provide me with some instructions on how to ban someone from a website....

Lise
klassic@mts.net

Be warned though... The only way I know of to block someone is to ban the I.P. number that they post from and by doing that, you block *everyone* who uses the same ISP, etc... If the offending person uses a large service such as AOL, or Earthlink, you could be losing a very large chunk of people.

ISP

An isp doesn't use just one ip though they use 100'sand so it won't block everyone.

Good points and note that it sounds easier to ban people than it actually is. They can use a proxie (one of the zillions of anonymous ones), and *bing* they are at your site again. Blah.

Thanks

Thanks for your input all... heh, the people at this website we are dealing with is general people under 20 years of age, and on a whole, I would generalize them as not very computer literate. Definitely not enough to know about stuff like proxies. :)

You might be surprised... I'm sure you have heard about the 'surf anonymously' type sites? Good chance they have to.

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Lise
Thanks for your input all... heh, the people at this website we are dealing with is general people under 20 years of age, and on a whole, I would generalize them as not very computer literate. Definitely not enough to know about stuff like proxies. :)

Actually you will find that poeple under 20 are usually alot more computer literate then people over.

Re: ISP

Originally posted by Epgs
An isp doesn't use just one ip though they use 100'sand so it won't block everyone.

true, your ip changes every time you log on through dial-up. so you'd ban 123.45.67.*

but a lot of other users who have done nothing malicious with your site will also have the IP 123.45.67.*... so they will be banned as well.

Back