• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Banning Cell Phones ??

Should Cell Phone use be banned while driving?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Homeygwiz

Hey do you think every country should ban Cell Phone use while driving cars to deter accidents?

Its happening..... there is a lot of controversy on banning Cell Phones.

Whats your opinion?

HGW - ' They should stop people from puttin on make up while driving, reading a book, shaving, or just plan not paying attention. Wouldn't that cut down on accidents... Probably not... '

the metropolitan transit authority here in new york was actually thinking of allowing cell phones in the subway...that's going to be a pain in the ass if it does come true.

I think they should be banned while driving. There is enough evidence that it helps cause accidents. I think headset phones might not be such a problem

maybe they should make it speaker, not headset, because if something should happen, and the driver doesn't hear it...

Originally posted by Homeygwiz
Hey do you think every country should ban Cell Phone use while driving cars to deter accidents?

shouldn't this read county, not country? other countries may have their own opinion.

I was figuring if someone from another country outside of U.S. had an opinion that I wouldn't limit the question just to the counties in the U.S. Maybe people in other countries have had accidents while using cell phones and driving... Maybe not.

I just didn't want to exclude anyone in this poll.

I think if cell phones are banned while driving they should ban eating food while your driving. Don't tell me you don't do it occasionally. I have time to time grabbed a burger because I was in a rush to get somewhere.

That's just as distracting as talking on a cell phone.

HGW

The problem is, the statistics show that cellphones are not the major cause of accidents. Eating and drinking, having someone in the car with you, and things outside the car cause more accidents from distraction that phones do.

And things inside, like drugs and lack of sleep. I do think cell phones cause accidents but so much else do too. Hands free would be a good solution I think.

Cell phones, in my opinion, have just become the latest popular scapegoat for traffic accidents, but in reality, the cause for accidents hasn't changed since the invention of the automobile.

In Farmington, the town over from where I live, scapegoating has recently become our biggest pastime. Two teenagers, at midnight, drunk to the point of passing out, veer off a back road and slam into a tree. The were going so fast they didn't hit the base of the tree, no, they were airborne 10 feet of the ground when they left the road. Both of them instantly killed.

And the cause of the accident is (drum roll...) Drinking? No, can't be, they were good local kids, they weren't "from away". (continue drum roll...) Driver carelessness? Naw, they couldn't have been speeding or being reckless. (continue drum roll...) No, the accident was because (cymbal!) the roads have too many curves. Yes, that's right, none of that other stuff had anything to do with it, it was the curves in the road.

The problem with this was, of course, they didn't crash in a curve. In fact, they were in one of the most straightest parts of the road. Didn't matter, ever since they've been spending millions removing the curves in the roads.

Eventually the people tired of the curve solution, and looked for something else to take the blame off the two teens. They found one that was even better: There weren't enough streetlights and they didn't know where the road was.

Well, it's not like the rest of the road is lit. Except for a privately owned lamp post outside the high school (it's on the same road), there are no streetlights. None of the back roads are lit in Farmington, and nearly none of the main roads are either. Are people running off the streets right and left, unable to see what's ahead of them? No, most people have discovered the marvel of headlights, but scapegoats don't have to make sense.

Now we're targeting the speed limits, which have apparently become "outrageously too fast". 35 is fast? The speed limit on our main road that goes downtown in now 10, 5 when the elementary school opens and closes.

What did this accomplish? It took the blame off the two drunk kids that recklessness drove as fast as they could in the middle of the night, nearly missing a sleeping bystander's house slamming into a tree in her front yard.

Talking on a cell phone doesn't cause accidents anymore than listening to the radio, talking to the person in the passenger seat, or eating a cheeseburger do. Careless driving causes and always has caused the majority of traffic accidents. People here have a vague enough grasp on which pedal makes the car go and which makes it stop, they can't be expected to remember how to do complex tasks like turning. Countless accidents have been caused by people on route 4 (our only four lane highway) because they simply slam on breaks, pause for a minute and a half or so, then turn as slowly as they can off the road. But the cause for the accidents aren't pinned on their negligence, it's because "the speed limit is too fast". Most accidents here happen when both parties are going under 20 miles and hour. Its a rarity when speeding is the actual cause of a wreck.

I think headset phones might not be such a problem
Holding the phone itself isn't the problem, it's the distraction it creates. Headset phones and speaker phones would not change that, and besides, you still have to dial them.

Why are we blaming cell phones and not the countless other distractions to drivers? Like I said, scapegoats don't have to make sense.

Originally posted by Dusty

Holding the phone itself isn't the problem, it's the distraction it creates. Headset phones and speaker phones would not change that, and besides, you still have to dial them.

That's why I still don't understand that part of it and why I've never wasted the money on buying a headset.

If cellphones could be banned, then eating in the car should be aswell... you spill something or drop some food you are almost aswell to cause an accident.

I voted "No", cell phones should not be banned.

driving in the car with your cell phone on and using a speaker is the same as if you were driving with someone sitting next to you. It's the small distractions like dialing the number, hanging up, answering the phone that causes the problems. But than again, so does having a radio in your car.

I know I'm always on my cellphone when I'm in the car..I use headsets that came with the phone.. work great.

Yeah, that's what statistics says anyway. Without headset, what do you hold it with when shifting gears? Or rather what do you hold the wheel with?
Is that penguin pregnant?:eek:

I hold my phone with my left hand and steering wheel with my right. If you have an automatic, that's enough. :cool:

Oh sorry. Didn't know we were talking about you personally as a risk factor. :p;)

I used to know someone who could drive with a cell phone in his left hand, a donut in his right hand, a Coke between his legs, with a map pressed against the wheel in front of him with his elbows. Steering was accomplished with his free knee, it was an automatic so changing gears wasn't an issue.

Did he ever get in a car accident? No.

If that didn't cause an accident, what harm could dialing a phone be?

(By the way, you can hold the wheel and phone in the same hand and dial with your free one. You don't have to let go)

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. if you feel safe driving with your phone go ahead. if you dont feel safe stop to talk.

I'm sure it contributes somewhat to accidents. ever try talking on the phone while trying to play a computer game? not so easy. driving demands concentration, especially in the city. Cell phones, stereos, passengers, food, drink, and anything else in your car will distract you.

Originally posted by Gayowulf
I'm sure it contributes somewhat to accidents. ever try talking on the phone while trying to play a computer game? not so easy. driving demands concentration, especially in the city. Cell phones, stereos, passengers, food, drink, and anything else in your car will distract you.

Yes that is exactly why things which distract the driver should be banned. Come on we are talking about human life here, why leave anything to chance.

People say that it should be left to individuals personal preference. Are you damn sure that the driver in the car behind you can concentrate while driving with a cellphone. I'm sure 90% of the drivers can't concentrate when driving with their cellphones on.

Isn't this just one of those arguments where everyone says 'I am such a good driver I never crash' this was very popular with drink drivers who all knew their limits and where of course less affected than anyone else.

I think having something in your hand will never help you to drive. Yes it may be less of a problem if your car is automatic but it's still an issue.

also people are stupid. locally there was a case where a truck driver caused a huge accident (killed a few people too) because he was texting his girlfriend :rolleyes:

In france there are plans to cut down all the plain trees lining the roads - an achatypal french scene, because some drivers get killed hitting them. The fact that people drive to fast + the old drink/drugs doesn't seem to be recognised as a problem. All they will achieve if it goes ahead will be to make the roads seem safer so everyone can drive even faster :)

cars + people = death

Back