• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bandwith?

When you buy a web hosting plan, generally you have limited bandwith available for your website. Bandwidth is the amount of data transferred when your website is accessed. e.g. if you home page size is 10K ( k - kilobytes ) and it has an image of size 50k, then when your website home page is display, a total of 10k+50k=60k bandwidth is used.

PTH, thank you for your answer.

Does it mean that the higher bandwith you have at your webhosting, the more people may be browsing through your website at the same time?
And then when the limit is full, other visitors can't enter my page?

eg. my website has 5Mb and then, when it's viewed by 10 people at a moment, the actual bandwith is 500Mb?

Or, into bandwith is counted only the part of the page being displayed?

Well, there is no such thing as "unlimited" Andrej, so becareful of anyone who offers this.

If you are given 500MB bandwidth for a month, and a person comes to your site, and views 10MB worth of pages and/or downloads you will then have 490MB left for the month. People can come to your site until all the bandwidth is used up for the month. Your site will then have a page saying "Bandwidth Exceeded" and this does not reset till the next month...

I hope that helps (though I know I shouldnt be trying to explain things with no sleep and at 2am my time!! :))

UnifiedHosting, thank you for your explanation and your time!
Now, it's clear for me.

However I've other questions:
Am I right that I should rather add baners on my website just like links to other websites in order to make my website smaller for the reason to save my bandwidth a little bit?

Could be this hint helpful to save my bandwidth a little bit?:
-don't visit my website on my own having no reason, rather browse through it at my computer harddisc where I've it saved ?

and is there a possibility to monitor your current bandwidth?

Thanks,
Andrej

Am I right that I should rather add baners on my website just like links to other websites in order to make my website smaller for the reason to save my bandwidth a little bit?
Reducing the number of images (or their quality) will decrease the amount of bandwidth you use. However, don't get too worried about this unless you are reaching your bandwidth limit each month or your pages have excessive load times.

Could be this hint helpful to save my bandwidth a little bit?:
-don't visit my website on my own having no reason, rather browse through it at my computer harddisc where I've it saved ?
It would save you bandwidth, but unless you make up 50% of your visitors, the saving would be barely noticeable.

and is there a possibility to monitor your current bandwidth?
That depends on the company. All paid hosts will offer access to a control panel that allows you to view space and bandwidth usage etc. With free hosting they may not, but that really depends on the provider.

What does it mean, when my free webhosting provider in my country hasn't mentioned the bandwidth size on its website?

And people continue to use the word bandwidth when it shouldn't be. Bandwidth = the width of your connection, or the maximum rate at which stuff can be transfered, usually over a small period such as a second, i.e. 10mbps. What you're talking about is monthly transfer, i.e. 10GB/mo.

Last edited:
Back