• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bandwitch prices without asterisk

xyst

The asterisk costs rather much - 5$-8$/1Gb.
I know a guy who has paied 2000$ out due to a bandwitch thief.

The phpwebhosting don't has the asterisks, but it requires to go away those who have consumed more than 5 Gb/month.
Tera-byte as i know has minimal price per Gb (though the same 5$ for a extra GB).

Providers supply users with web based means to see traffic stat, but it can be too late. By the means the control of traffic usage can't be automated by a user. Imposing fines without means to control traffic, the same as to punish someone for falling rain.

If providers see the extra fee as a good, isn't the same for a user. At least it is strange that the extra fee is more than a ordinary payment. As if providers want less consumption of bites by a user.

[Edited by xyst on 04-03-2001 at 03:01 PM]

xyst,

A few thoughts:

That amount is definately high for bandwidth. The average rate is $2 - $3 per gig.

For the most part a website wants heavy site traffic. This means a site owner is either getting his message out or hopefully turning his visitors into revenue.

I'm sure the agreement stipulated the extra bandwidth cost. If the website will continue with traffic beyond the allotted amount then webmaster should talk to the host and ask for a permanent bandwidth increase at a more nominal rate.

Thanks, Chris

Indeed in the case of stable increased traffic one should take a new plan. The Servus, for example, gives possibility to construct a custom plan. Though plan method is not flexible.

The means of control traffic are useful in cases of abuse (hacker's attacks, bandwitch hieves...). The means supported by providers now (web interface) for it are not efficient ones. One can sleep when his traffic goes in sand.

Probably nobody wants to pay NNNN$ just because the means traffic control are limited.

Xyst, did you ever make any custom plan deal with us ?

Well, hosts need to protect other users on their machines as well. So personally, I agree with what phpwebhosting is doing, they are protecting other user's sites from suffering abuses from those high traffic sites on their box. I think that is good.

>>Though plan method is not flexible.
>Xyst, did you ever make any custom plan deal with us ?

Donovan,
On the contrary I said - it is an advantage of the Servus hosting to have custom plans.
I should write "Though any plan method is not flexible". I've missed "any" or "a"-article, sorry.
Why "any plan method is not flexible"?
It is better (for users) when measures are less. A user will prefer .../per second to .../per month.
.../per second means paying for a result.
.../per month - paying according a plan.

But I would prefer your custom plans to static plans.

Thank you for understanding the problem of traffic abuse.

A story for the Paid Hosting Industry

Let me to tell a real story. I hope that those who will implement a new from it allow me to have a discount for using their hosting.

An ISP has thought out to issue cards, for payment in advance for its services. It was written on the card "It card allows you to use 30 hours of Internet time during 30 days". One could think that the ISP has become a number one among ISPs. It isn’t so. The number one has become another ISP. Its card meant "It card allows you to work in the Internet during uncertain numbers of days. For every second of used time we will subtract from the sum paid in advance (for the card) 0,00008$ in nighttime or 0,0002$ in daytime". Now the cards issue at par 5$, 10$, 20$. The rates are the same for any par.

[Edited by xyst on 04-05-2001 at 12:27 AM]

London, August 1889

Another fellow I knew went for a week’s voyage round the coast, and, before they started, the steward came to him to ask whether he would pay for each meal as he had it, or arrange beforehand for the whole series.
The steward recommended the latter course, as it would come so much cheaper. He said they would do him the whole week at two-pounds-five. He said for breakfast there would be fish, followed by a grill. Lunch was at one, and consisted of four courses. Dinner at six – soup, fish, entree, joint, poultry, salad, sweets, cheese, and dessert. And a light meat supper at ten.
My friend thought he would close on the two-pounds-five job (he is a hearty eater), and did so.

He left the ship on Tuesday, and as it steamed away from the landing-stage he gazed after it regretfully.
"There she goes," he said, "there she goes, with two pounds’ worth of food on board that belongs to me, and that I haven’t had."

[Edited by xyst on 04-18-2001 at 12:18 AM]

Back