• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bandwidth

rao

How can you define the term "BANDWIDTH" in terms of web hosting, precisely and exactly? (in a simple way...coz u know i am a newbie! ;))

ahaan...thanx both of u!

but "The Red Guy", How can I cal culate the required bandwidth to my website? like i m signing up with a company for a hosting... & he'z asking me that how much bandwidth you require & does ur site require more bandwidth?

How can I figure that out !:confused:

Depends on how large your site is and what type of files are on your site.

[ADD]
And how many visitors you get.

Last edited:
Let's say each static html file is 4 kb, then all other elements add up to 10kb, you'll have 14kb for visitors to download. If 10,000 visitors visit your site it's 10,000 X 14 kb = 140,000 kb, which is about 140mb. :)

Originally posted by rao
How can you define the term "BANDWIDTH" in terms of web hosting, precisely and exactly? (in a simple way...coz u know i am a newbie! ;))
"Bandwidth" is the speed a connection has.

1,5Mb/s has todo with Bandwidth

100Mb/Month has todo with traffic.

so the more Bandwidth you can get the better, but thats useless when you don't got enough traffic

it might be a good thing to know that bandwidth is something else than data transfer. Unfortunately most people, including hosts, mix up the two terms. I think you are talking about data transfer here ... the amount of data transferred between your account and visitors. For example, if a visitor dowloads a 10mb file, the data transfer is 10mb.
It is very hard to calculate data transfer. It all depends on the amount of visitors, the amount of pictures you use on your pages, how many pages a visitors visits, etc.

Unless your buying a server, when a host asks you how much bandwidth you want they mean data transfer

5GB per month should be enough for a new site
when you start your site you can check how much data transfer you used in your first month and you will know if you need more then.

Back