• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bandwidth vs. Transfer

soulm8sflyff

As there seems to be a bit of confusion over some of the terminology used in webhosting, I'd like to point out the following distinction:

Transfer is the amount of data that an account is allowed to send back and forth in a given time period. For example, 10 GB per month.

Bandwidth is the speed at which data can be transferred through the medium. For example, 10 Mbps (Megabits per second).

Please keep this in mind as you're posting your offers and as you are reading other people's offers. Cheers! :D

source: Dev Shed Forums

that is good information. Even being in the webhosting world this long I never truely new the difference. Thanks!

aggiedude

And also I would like to add that sometimes people call the computer box the CPU which in fact is the small chip on the motherboard which runs your computer. But then again when one is talking to another person of same experience it dosent matter and most of us dont really care for the real term but just tend to understand what it means and help the person out. Cheers! :)

soulm8sflyff said:
And also I would like to add that sometimes people call the computer box the CPU which in fact is the small chip on the motherboard which runs your computer. But then again when one is talking to another person of same experience it dosent matter and most of us dont really care for the real term but just tend to understand what it means and help the person out. Cheers! :)
That's IKEAs fault. :\

soulm8sflyff said:

Well, technically, the CPU is the computer, since it, well, computes.

soulm8sflyff said:

What is a computer supposed to be called? :) I mean seriously, a computer is the entire thing (a general term for something that "computes"), a CPU is the processor, a "modem" (as some people call them) is the device used to access dial-up, and "tower" is a form-factor of a case. What is it supposed to be called?

When you meet someone in the hall at 2:30pm and he says good morning to you, you will never think he's out of his mind or crazy, for you know what he really means.

Back