• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bad news from Dot.tk

jerry4dos

I have bad news if you use DOT.TK's free redirection service -- they've seen fit to add an advertising popup that loads in front of your page. This occurs even if you have a "PAID" domain (if you use their redirection service).

Messages to their usually friendly and quick-responding staffers have gone unanswered -- including an offer to pay EXTRA money to have the ads removed.

Stay tuned.

Jerry

i found a way to beat the system - go log in to "My Dot tk" > then go click on the marketing options or advertising option in the menu, then just click 'no banner/popup'.... and the pop up leaves u alone..... :)

hope that helped.... btw thats legal and works on free accounts as well..... the reason yo emails went unanswered is cos they prolly were wondering what popups u were on abt... :D

cheers!

There's even more bad news if you got the freedomain.tk plan.

All FREEDOMAIN.TK domain names with less then 25
hits per 90 days will be disabled. This hasn't happened
for a few months now, due to the fact that the
Traffic Database was not available.
Also,
There is a new regulation for all FREEDOMAIN.TK domain
names that have received more then 1000 hits per 90 days.
These domain names will have a mandatory banner Linker
Promo, and thus the Linker Promo cannot be disabled
anymore for these domain names.

Don't think .TK is needed anymore >.>

weird, my tk has less users but still online (we use now .com) and popups is nothing :) i use firefox to block heehe

college-student said:
i found a way to beat the system
I checked that. I've been running in "no banner/popup" mode for months -- but just to make sure, I set it for "popup," waited a few hours, then set it back to "no banner/popup." Still, I get the popups.

I wonder if I've fallen prey to Su2000's note about the "high traffic" free sites requiring a banner with no option to turn it off. Perhaps their banner-placing database has me incorrectly logged as a FREEDOMAIN.

I think I'm most disappointed that neither Ian nor Balder will answer my e-mails. They responded quickly enough when I was sitting here with my credit card in my hand registering domain names in nine-year chunks.

Back