• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Avoid Donhost !!!

directoris

Hi Everybody,

Well, that name, Donhost, is not the one to remember when it comes the day to think about hosting.
Back in March 2001, we decided to apply for their 'so-called' reseller plan. But the mess started just a days after. The server went down twice a week and long periods of time.

Daniel Conlon (the owner) kept lying about the reasons of those downtime. After a while, he finally told us that his unique server, for the resellers, had more than 16 hard drives!!!

The Control Panel never worked properly and mysql had problems almost everyday. Plus, we had to pay £15 for each DNS records updates.

Then, Mr Conlon and his young partner (Adam) became more and more unfriendly when they saw our business doing better than theirs. We started registering their own clients!

One day, Mr Conlon told us that he removed some of our users accounts, because they were using too much bandwidth. But the limits were not reached!

The week after, he told us to rent a dedicated server from him OR he will be obliged to remove our users accounts. I argued with him saying that we had unlimited webspace and that we didn't reach the bandwidth limits.

As I saw that he wasn't kidding, we urged our users to backup their files.

A few days later, Conlon removed all our accounts.

Today, we are back to business. Stronger than ever! Our business image has suffered because of Donhost. But Daniel Conlon will pay for what he's done!

Anyway, we also know that his business is going down. That's just the beginning...

Well, this was our story with Donhost.

Best regards,

Vincent Hirth
info@directoris.com
http://www.directoris.com

This isn´t the first time Donhost has ripped off its customers, or those clients who offer space for others. I think a lawsuit should be brought up against them because they mistreat customers, and particularily resellers. They also violate the terms they laid down themselves by lieing.

As I saw that he wasn't kidding, we urged our users to backup their files.
Alas, you you forgot a lot of them. A lot of activity was going on here to trace you. You knew about it in advance and didn't warn (all) your users. Two wrongs don't make a right, you know. :(

Hey Vincent.... I'm not try to pick a fight but you seem to be doing the same thing as before. You offer "free hosting" (with a set up fee). How are you going to support this? Granted, your up front $40 will carry you for a bit but what exactly is your business plan for the long haul? It was unfortunate about your dealings with DonHost but you had a number of customers that signed up for a similar type of "free" accounts" that you offer now. These past clients were left high and dry after paying a similar set up fee. I remember reading that the server was weak and I don't think anyone got over a few months after paying their money.

We can all agree that DonHost stinks and you're probably a nice guy but why should this work this time? Something still doesn't add up for me.

Hello,

We had some problems contacting our users, yes. But it was due to the fact that we had the wrong emails from them. Or the emails we had where attached to their domain names we hosted.

Anyway, all accounts we had on Donhost server have been re-opened on our servers.

Regarding our hosting offer, I'm not going to convince my competitors to agree with our marketing strategy. But it works, that is the most important thing.

Also, Directoris is about to offer other services than just hosting. This is why we can afford to offer and to support our "Free Hosting Plan".

Vincent

DonHost really sucks! but why he didn't get sued when he is doing this to his clients? i don't think they say that reseller's customers using too much bandwidth must be deleted and resellers selling better than them must rent a dedicated server from them in their tos?

Yet while this shitty host still exists, there is one far worse than this...CI Host, the host which has caused people to lose up to (last time I heard a CI Host horror story) $25,000.

Originally posted by directoris
Hello,
We had some problems contacting our users, yes. But it was due to the fact that we had the wrong emails from them. Or the emails we had where attached to their domain names we hosted.
You still use the one and only email address I've given you. It has been working all the time. Same goes for my friends. You forget that many of your original customers that didn't come from AOL came from here.

Despite what has happened I wish you good luck Vincent. But I think the beast way to start fresh is to be honest with your customers and give them the information they need. Suggestions: put a decent FAQ up and do the support yourself or get someone who doesn't YELL WHEN HE TALKS, make more useful announcements and know how to talk to people and express himself in general.

Hope it works out and turns out to be the great hosting we all hoped for.

You can sue donhost , but not for more than £25,000 ... or something i that region i believe.

However should you fail .. i would have thought you'd get sued ... so think carefully about this before you do anything ....

i personally recommened not sueing ..

Back