• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Audiobooks

Timelord_

So I recently discovered audiobooks (thanks Leo Laporte), and I am in love with them - however, I have hit a dry spell, where I have nothing to "read".

Can anyone recommend any books to me, specifically, books around startup businesses, or even more specifically, tech startups.

I just finished The Accidental Billionaires, and it was fantastic.

If you're mentioning Leo Laporte, then maybe you've heard of Paul Thurrott on the Pro-MS side. For funny counterweight, check out Daniel Eran Dilger and RoughlyDrafted on the ProMac side.

Get Chronicles of Narnia. It's a good book series. I've only read two books but I mean to read all of them.

As far as non-business audio books, I can suggest Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (by Douglas Adams). The one I listened to was produced by BBC, and it was great. I can't vouch for the other productions of the book. If you saw the film, it's nothing like the book. Also, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (by Orson Scott Card) are done really well in audio book format.

As far as actual books, I just got done with the Foundation trilogy and Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov and thought they were awesome. Gonna finish up the series with "Foundation and Earth" when I'm not busy. Yeah, I'm a huge sci-fi nerd; it's easily my favorite genre for books. I'm pretty sure I've read a total of zero books about start-up businesses.

The HHGttG audiobooks I found were read BY DOUGLAS ADAMS, which made them incredibly awesome. Highly recommended. If you like that, look for Terry Pratchett audiobooks too.

Referrals! Aphelion and Creator&Catalyst

Okay, having been patient for the hordes to have their say, now I get to refer a couple of great sources!

Take a look at Aphelion Webzine. It's in the running for the longest extant SF webzine still keeping a regular schedule. They have an entire section called the Audio Story Archive.
http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1334

While you're at it, sign up for the forum and review something! Please mention that I pleaded with you, so they'll grudgingly admit the voices I talk to are on the web and not in my head! (Hehe, just kidding.)

The resident audio expert is Mark Edgemon, whose own site is at http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/audio_stories.htm

(Warning, the front page if you go 'home' has an audio track!)

With much impudence,

TaoPhoenix

Back