• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

attaching new DDR memory

Lior

I recently attached ddr 512M (PC3200) in additon to pc2100 that already installed in my computer (also 512M), from some reason its not recognize the new memory I attached. what can I do?

1. Remove the old one and insert the new one (see if your PC detects it)
2. Try swapping RAM slots

Thats it for now :)

Zac

I did both of your suggestion.
My PC detects the new RAM (when installed alone) and I inserted the RAM as mention in my PC user guide (I tried all the recommended configurations), still doesn't work :sad2:

I did both of your suggestion.
My PC detects the new RAM (when installed alone) and I inserted the RAM as mention in my PC user guide (I tried all the recommended configurations), still doesn't work :sad2:

Have you seen if your board can handle two diffenerent speeds? You should have bought 2100. The 3200 may be getting underclocked so much by the board to be 2100 speeds that it's not even being activated. Your RAM is only as fast as the slowest in the system. And depending on the company, at that low of a speed, the 3200 may not even be getting enough voltage to turn on. Which is why it only works when it is alone.

I figured my board will support the slowest RAM (although the user guide not mention it), you think I should get PC2100 or there is a solution using the PC3200 (I found it hard to get PC2100 RAM)?

I figured my board will support the slowest RAM (although the user guide not mention it), you think I should get PC2100 or there is a solution using the PC3200 (I found it hard to get PC2100 RAM)?

If you get a second 3200 and junk the old 2100 piece completely you'll probably be fine.

I think you should call your vendor as I crashed my motherboard while trying to install a new DDR

How the hell..?

I change RAM daily, and i've NEVER had a problem or messed anything up. You must have done something wrong, you do know the RAM does not go in the PCI slots right? :p

You cannot use mismatced ddr dimms, it will never work, you need to use dims that are at least the same clock speed ( PCXXXX ) to have any success, it's even advised that you use dimms made by the same company; so in short, get matching memory modules and it'll work, theres nothing wrong with your pc at all.

1161382100-RAM.b.jpg

You cannot use mismatced ddr dimms, it will never work, you need to use dims that are at least the same clock speed ( PCXXXX ) to have any success, it's even advised that you use dimms made by the same company; so in short, get matching memory modules and it'll work, theres nothing wrong with your pc at all.

That is not 100% true. While it is very much advised to match DDR speeds, not all motherboards require it. Many motherboards can support both 333mHz and 400mHz DDR memory (or 2700 and 3200 respectively), but will simply underclock the 400mHz stick to 333mHz.

I don't advise doing it in 90% of cases, but it can be done on some motherboards. Just note you are not getting the full potential out of your memory, and if you fall into that 90% of mobos that don't like this, the chances of stability issues are high.

Well this is normally for newer machines Matt, however when the board was made chances are 3200 wasn't around which means it wont know what to do with it. Take the 3200 out confirm it works, then take out the 2700 and replace with the 3200 confirm they work, if so, take the 3200 back should be on warranty and get a 2700 your be fine then.

Also I don't think this is the case but confirm your mother board can handle the X amount of ram your placing on it.

Let us know,...

I have 2 DRR 256 memories on my Motherboard, one is PC3200 and the other PC2100. Both detected and working ok

Back