• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ASP or PHP?

cheatpark

­
NLC
Some windows servers run both but most will only run asp. Asp will run faster than php on windows because it was coded by microsoft. However, this does not mean php is bad. I pretty much like php and personally think its better than asp. Its totally up to you. If you go with php though make sure its on a linux or unix operating system / server. Php was designed to run well on them. I also think that more people know php here so if you ever needed help then there is most likely to be someone to help you. I don't think many people here know asp.

You will also find that mssql is usually only on windows servers. mysql is usually found on unix and linux but can run on windows too. As for a script to manage your site you may want to consider using phpnuke. Their site is http://www.phpnuke.org . I hope that helps. This is my opinion and other people here may have other opinions.

asp does NOT run on *nix servers, php and mysql do run on windows but thier slower and less stable, i'd advise you do screw windows, switch to a *nix server and run PHP!

ASP does work on *nix, using apache::asp and chilisoft asp. I don't have too much use for asp anyway though.

Originally posted by invalid

yeah, but its slow as hell
this is the smallest problem when you run ASP on *nix...
ASp uses access\mssql\dsn and other stuff that cant run on *nix, so its shit
anyway, why use ASP ?? its the same stuff like ms VB so its sucks !!
php is more like C so its alot better.

this is the smallest problem when you run ASP on *nix...
ASp uses access\mssql\dsn and other stuff that cant run on *nix, so its shit
anyway, why use ASP ?? its the same stuff like ms VB so its sucks !!
php is more like C so its alot better.

exactly.

Both languages have an easy learning curve but i'd go for PHP.

Stay away from anything related to Microsoft .. IIS has more holes than swiss cheese ..

Best Regards

Originally posted by netacore.com
Stay away from anything related to Microsoft .. IIS has more holes than swiss cheese ..
*sigh*

That is one very uneducated comment. Unfortunately people have the mentality that *nix is out-of-the-box secure that's not always the case, If you know how to correctly configure IIS, you won't have much of a problem.

Unfortunately people have the mentality that *nix is out-of-the-box secure that's not always the case, If you know how to correctly configure IIS, you won't have much of a problem

::double sigh:: "Out of the box" apache is tighter than iis hands down, but thats not the case ...

The overhead and downtime of dealing with patches (perhaps of the spotlight that iis receives) is out of control. One must find/locate designated patch, test and troubleshoot on staging server (lets not repeat incident with sp6) and install. Reboot with 4-5 mins downtime. What happens when a new application is installed? Re-install all previous patches, sure use qchain with one reboot but thats still another reboot. Quite frankly the downtime experienced with patch installations is unacceptable. No matter how properly 'configured' your iis installation is, patches need to be installed and tested properly.
iis patches greatly outnumber those of apache,
I am not saying apache is a straight arrow, it has had its fair share of incidents in the past, but an admin cannot compare the stability and security track record of apache with iis ..and still be pleased

Last edited:
Originally posted by netacore.com

::double sigh:: "Out of the box" apache is tighter than iis hands down, but thats not the case ...

The overhead and downtime of dealing with patches (perhaps of the spotlight that iis receives) is out of control. One must find/locate designated patch, test and troubleshoot on staging server (lets not repeat incident with sp6) and install. Reboot with 4-5 mins downtime. What happens when a new application is installed? Re-install all previous patches, sure use qchain with one reboot but thats still another reboot. Quite frankly the downtime experienced with patch installations is unacceptable. No matter how properly 'configured' your iis installation is, patches need to be installed and tested properly.
iis patches greatly outnumber those of apache,
I am not saying apache is a straight arrow, it has had its fair share of incidents in the past, but an admin cannot compare the stability and security track record of apache with iis ..and still be pleased
agreed 100% It's just the way you said it in your previous post that gave me the noob impression ;)

Originally posted by phpnuker
if you want to be able to have php and mysql and perl and all that on windows you have to get PHP-Triad, and you can download it at www.phpgeek.com
they didn't say they were making thier own server:rolleyes:
also thats an install kit for newbies

Its not just for newbies, many people i know use it and they are proffessionals. and i was just bringing it up incase they wanted to know how to do it with windows or wanted to make there own server....however i would go with linux if i were to have a server....wich i will have soon....and will soon be offering hosting.

Back